MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-19-2002, 07:15 PM   #1
MHarmon
Registered Member

Question 2001 GT Knock When Cold

My 2001 GT has a terrible knock when accelerating until the engine warms up. It's so bad I have to short-shift at around 1000 rpm. It's going back to Ford next week but I'd like to know what's wrong before I trust what they tell me. If anyone has experienced this I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Mike
MHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 10:17 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

ummm....how many miles does it have on it.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 02:51 AM   #3
MHarmon
Registered Member

I just turned 1,400 miles. The car is brand new. I've wanted a Mustang for a long time but I'm so disappointed in the quality of this car.

By the way, I LOVE that picture of the speed sign. I'm still laughing at that one.

Thank you for responding,

Mike
Old 01-20-2002, 05:52 AM   #4
fixer
Registered Member

Hey...

I've got an 02 Gt with the same problems and the dealer i dealt with put a new engine in and it did not cure the problem. From what i've learned Ford barely has anything beyond speculation to address this problem. Dealers across the country seem to be replacing the motors unnecessarily--and on the advice of Ford's own Tech hotline.

In my new motor i have some piston slap that is noticeable only in gear and driving at about 2000-2500 rpm.

There is also a pretty nasty sounding rattle (sounds like a marble on a countertop) at 3000 rpm or thereabouts.

Both of these noises are completely eliminated upon driving for 2-3 minutes. And both are noticeable only when cold (engine sets for more than 3 hours).

This is a huge deal with the 01-02 Gt, bullitt and Cobra cars.

The working hypothesis is that it is some piston vibration/piston slap.

www.bullittclub.com

www.stangnet.com

www.corral.net

No offense to Mustang Works but these sites other have a rather large Modular following with numerous complaints about this problem. I suggest doing a search for your problem on any or all of these websites.

My bottomline advice to you is not let your dealer put a new motor in it cause it ain't gonna fix the problem.

Also: ask the service manager if you and her/him can drive a new Gt off the lot to see if it makes the noise. I did this and drove two Gt's auto and manual and both did it (to the shop foreman and service managers surprise). If you do this, it will change their tune about putting a new motor in--in a second.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 05:58 AM   #5
MHarmon
Registered Member

That is not what I wanted to hear but it is what I needed to know. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll heed your advice when I take the car in on Tuesday.

Colorado has a very strong "lemon law". I won't hesitate to invoke it.

My next door neighbor didn't help much either. He just shook his head and said "trade it in and get a vette". I'd have to be able to afford the car and a good divorce attorney.

Thanks again for your time,

Mike
Old 01-20-2002, 06:11 AM   #6
fixer
Registered Member

Let me clarify a bit: i don't think there is anything really wrong with the enigines; they are just noisy when cold.

The problem lies with the dealers and the rejectified hotline they use.

I thought about doing the Lemon Law shuffle... but in my case would've been worse off casue there was no way in hell i was gonna get all of my 9000$ down payment back. Even at under 1000 miles. I contacted a few attorneys and they said it'd be a hard sell and it takes months to do, so by then you've racked up thousand or so miles and they deduct for that.

To their credit i did get an extended warranty for free without even asking--they just gave it to me.

So i've got 75,000 miles worth of engines!
Old 01-20-2002, 08:26 AM   #7
MHarmon
Registered Member

I really liked the idea of driving one on the lot while I'm at the dealer in order to see if a brand new Mustang will do the same thing.

I know this wasn't a problem when I bought mine in late September because it was still 80+ degrees during the day.

My Mustang is garaged both at home and at work so it's never exposed to the elements.

I'm starting to understand how Ford could sell a record number of cars and still lose $5 billion in the fourth quarter.

By the way, my wife did tell me I could get rid of it and get a vette if I want. I smell a setup because the lease on her Acura is almost up. There's no telling what she's got her eye on.

I'll be sure and post a thread once I talk to the dealer on Tuesday.

Mike
Old 02-24-2002, 06:51 PM   #8
MHarmon
Registered Member

Just to finish this story. The dealer "thinks" the piston skirts make this noise when the car is cold but they can't say for sure. There is nothing official from Ford.

Ford authorized them to replace the engine but they couldn't guarantee it would be a new engine or a re-manufactured one because they both come from the same plant (what?).

I've received several calls from the dealer asking "how'd we do?". Do they really want to hear all that profanity? - I think not.

By the way - just for good measure, they damaged my car while they had it and had to replace one of the side-scoops.

Ford - the legend lives on!

Thanks to all who offered advice on this issue - you were spot on.

Mike
Old 02-28-2002, 10:19 PM   #9
fixer
Registered Member

no problem.