MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Narshadda
Registered Member

Default Rust on stock exhaust + more

Hey all,

I hadn't worried much about this in the past but I took a look underneath my 04 GT and saw that the complete exhaust: Catback, midpipe, headers; the driveshaft and rear axle casing have a huge amount of rust.

I purchased the car used in South Florida but the car's original purchase was in Michigan; so I am guessing one or two winters did the damage.

I am planning on dumping quite a bit of cash on her in the next year or two, and since I plan on buying it piece by piece I fear that the rust will spread to the newer parts.

What do you guys think?

Thanks ahead of time,

Narsh
Narshadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Narshadda
Registered Member

Default Re: Rust on stock exhaust + more

The rest of the engine looks ok...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stangbytes.JPG (84.9 KB, 4 views)
Narshadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
1989GT
Registered Member

For the rear axle I'd remove the rust with a wire brush/ sand paper and hit is up with some undercoating/paint. The drive shaft you could paint but you could also throw it out of balance(probably not but it is a possibility). The exhaust there isn't much you can do, it's going to rust, unless you have it coated or it's stainless steel.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
amongtheliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narshadda View Post
The rest of the engine looks ok...
I like your air flow system...did you do that yourself or did it come like that when you bought it? I bought mine but it's got the plastic one.

My rear axle is rusted out to (same year), most likely weather damged. When the weather warms up I am going to take 1989GT advise.

My question would be is the undercoat and paint one and the same or 2 seperate types of paints? I've never done that type of work on a car. I've got undercoating done but only in the wheel wells and throught the doors (I guess my warranty doesn't cover it).

As for your exhaust now is the time to beef it up, since it's probably the original stock exhaust, and maybe get yourself some headers too.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narshadda View Post
I am planning on dumping quite a bit of cash on her in the next year or two, and since I plan on buying it piece by piece I fear that the rust will spread to the newer parts.

What do you guys think?

Thanks ahead of time,

Narsh

Rust wont spread to other parts.....

the rust on the rear end is just surface rust and it wont hurt anything

the rust on the exhaust is because its mild steel and it will not cause an issue for years to come... if you are planning on upgrading the exhaust the get S/S if rust worries you

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Stock exhaust is stainless steel all the way back so I'm assuming you must have an aftermarket aluminized mild steel exhaust on it.
All the stuff you described being rusted is pretty normal and isn't going to hurt anything. The exaust may eventually rust through over several years but the rearend and driveshaft should be fine.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #7
goodyear1984
Registered Member

geta nice stainless exhaust system ..bassani makes great stuff
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote