MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2002, 04:00 PM   #1
subterfuge
Registered Member

Default Saleen Body Kits - good or bad?

Iwas just reading some of the responses to the other post about saleen body kits, and it seems some people have had some pretty bad expeiences. How many people out there have installed them, and how did it go? Did the body shop have to do a ton of work to them, or just paint and screw it on? the one post said they spent 1500 at the body shop.. thats more than they cost to buy them!!

Somebody give me the real story!
subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:40 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I'm the one who complained about spending $1500 at the body shop on top of the $1295 body kit price. When I received the kit, it was pitted all over the place, had a few gouges in it, and the 'SALEEN' lettering on the back bumper cover was not looking good - the outline was not sharp at all in places. It also did not fit all that well on the car and required a lot of massaging with a heat gun. My good friend is buddies with the shop owner and I have had other work done there and trust them. It took 20 hours of labor @ $68/hr to get the job done, so with the materials and the rest it was $1500 on top of the kit price.
I don't know if they pick out all the best parts to put on their production cars and then send the crap out to aftermarket customers, but that's how it seems to me.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:54 PM   #3
Torinalth
Registered Member

I'm sure BlueGT got a bad experience. I will be getting the 281 kit for my GT in the future. if you do get the kit and it looks pitted and scratched, send it back for an exchange. it should bolt right up....... really sounds like a bad batch. should be pretty simple, but that is not always the case.

Torinalth
Old 06-26-2002, 07:27 AM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

My kit cost about $1300 bucks and fit up real good. It always costs $$ to have it painted and installed! The guy who got the bad kit should have returned it for an exchange or refund. He was right on about Saleens service. Even the Saleen owners on SALEEN web site complain about custumer service Any body kit, plastic or fiberglass can be off by a bit and some companies sell seconds at a lower price. Buyer beware!!
Old 06-26-2002, 07:30 AM   #5
subterfuge
Registered Member

thanks guys.. i really want to put this kit on, but i was a bit scared for a bit. I guess i will just have the body shop check it over before they start working on it.
subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:55 AM   #6
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

In the time I've been here, I've seen numerous posts about the lack of quality on Saleen body kits. Haven't seen that many(if any) about how good they fit. Just what I've noticed

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote