MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-06-2001, 09:17 AM   #1
Mike 88GT
Registered Member

Question Shocks&Struts, now thats the question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been looking for a long time on which name brand and type of shocks and struts to get. I still don't know which way to go. I think I like the idea of having adjustables, but are they nessary? I plan on lowering my 88'GT rag top no more than 2". Is there a good lowering number to stick with? Should I go 1,1.5 or 2"'s? And should I lower the car the same time I replace the shocks and struts? Or can I do it later? I'm working with a short budget here, but I want to do it right the first time too. What should I do and whats a good shock/strut to go with? I've been told that KYB's are just a factory replacment set up, but how are there adjustables, are they any good for what I'm looking for? Someone, please help.
Mike 88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 04:33 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Mustangs look like 4 wheel drives, but if you lower it about 1-1.25", all of a sudden it looks pretty low. Also you don't want to go much lower then that or the geometry gets really out of whack and you do more harm then good.

I guess you don't HAVE to replace the springs and struts at the same time, but you might as well. Save a bit of labor, plus you don't have to do two seperate jobs.

KYBs are okay. Not wonderful, but okay. The next step up would be Tokico Premiums (non-adjustable). A complete set runs about $330. It just gets worse from there. Good shocks and struts ain't cheap!
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 01:59 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Basically, I think you get what you pay for with shocks & struts. I have Bilsteins on my '79 and Tokico 5-way adjustables on my '00 and I am very pleased with both brands (also expect to pay about $500-600 retail for these). Koni's are supposed to be good too, but I have heard rumors that they do not last as long as Tokico's under extreme abuse?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 06:34 PM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

There are a couple different levels of Konis. Some people swear by them on their race cars, some people don't like them. But I think they comes with the same life time warranty that Tokicos come with. Then again some people don't like the rebound characteristics of the Tokicos and be able to adjust joist and rebound seperately would be nice...

I don't think I've heard of anyone not liking the Bilstiens yet.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote