MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-06-2002, 08:21 PM   #1
Kodiak44
Registered Member

Default Shorty headers?

I'm getting my GT ready for a supercharger. Exhaust, chassis bracing, suspension etc. already in the works. And I'm wondering if I should install headers. Long tubes not an option. I heard somewhere that the stock ones weren't that bad but I also read that with a supercharger you can pick up some decent hp with a set of headers. My question is, are they worth the money and hassle of install, and which ones should I get? I am looking at either JBA or FPR. Everything I have installed so far has been top quality and I'd like to keep it that way. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
2002 GT conv. 5-speed Premium package,Mineral Gray,Bassani cat-backs,Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats,3:73 gears,KB subframe connectors,Tri-Ax.
Kodiak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:23 PM   #2
Titan
Registered Member

Check http://reviews.stangnet.com they have reviews on most every mustang part.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 07:33 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

To me headers are a must, when going with a power adder of any kind. Headers are a small price to pay to optimize the performance of your high dollar super charger.

JMO,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 12:35 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Even on a stock motor longtubes and the shorty crossover pipe add a good amount of power (15+hp and lb-ft). Shorties only add a couple of horsepower on a stock motor. The difference between the two would only be more dramatic with a blower. Just because you don't see much of a gain by putting shorties on an otherwise bone stock car doesn't mean that the stock manifolds are not a restriction - it's just that shorties aren't that much better than stock and the stock H-pipe with 6 cats is more of a restriction and will not allow you to see the gains with the headers until it is replaced as well.
Why are longtubes not an option for you? In my opinion given the cost and difficulty of installing headers on these cars they are the only ones worth putting on a mod motor, but then again with a blower I'm sure you would see more hp than stock manifolds even with shorties. The only drawback I have seen with my longtubes is reduced ground clearance (I have 3" under the cats), but then again my car is pretty slammed.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 05:30 PM   #5
Kodiak44
Registered Member

Thanks for replying guys!
To Titan: Ya, I go on that site (Stangnet) regularly and it has helped me alot, but in this particular case both products seem pretty equal besides price. And they don't list JBA Shorties. I talked to JBA and they said I could get somewhere around 24 extra hp on a blown GT but they're a little pricey. I was wondering if I could get similar performance gains from the FPR and save a few hundred bucks.
To blue00gt: I don't want to do long tubes because I already installed a Magnaflow X-pipe with hi-flow cats. Originally when I bought the x-pipe I thought about long tubes but didn't want to deal with it (installation, Clearance, etc) plus I also didn't think I was going to supercharge her. So if its shorties or stock what would you do?
2002 GT conv. 5-speed Premium package,Mineral Gray,Bassani cat-backs,Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats,3:73 gears,KB subframe connectors,Tri-Ax.
Kodiak44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: