MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2000, 10:08 PM   #1
jamie403
Registered Member

Post Should I?

I'm looking to buy a white '96 GT 4.6 mustang...I like it a lot and I really want to buy it. However, I would like some opinions of people who have mustangs before I buy it...are they reliable? Is it worth the money, because I'll be in debt for a long while if I buy this car? I just need some reviews on them - thankyou for your responses (assuming there are any!)

Jamie
jamie403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2000, 11:53 PM   #2
T-Bone
Registered Member

Well Jamie, I've got a 96 GT, which I like a lot. I don't know how much experience you have with Mustangs, or if you've driven this white one your looking at, but with the 4.6L engine you get the almost instant feeling that..."it's not fast enough"...which leads to desperate attempts to make it faster, including severe indebtness. This is especially true with the 96's because they are the slowest of all 4.6L Mustangs yet. Mainly, I think, because it was the first "experimental" year with the mod motor.
Don't get me wrong...like I said, I love my GT, however, I sometimes wish I had a 95' with the last year of the "5.0", or a 98'+ model with the quicker 4.6L. But you can always make it faster with a little $$$.
Mustangs with a "For Sale" sign in the window are almost non-existent where I live, so I jumped on the first one I saw. Luckily, it was the perfect car. I am almost content with its performance now, with the mods I've done since I bought it(3 months ago). And I am sure I will be after I do my next mod, 3.73 gears.
As far as reliability, I haven't had enough time in the seat to say personally. From what I've heard though, they are very reliable. How many miles are on the white GT? I've had one major ordeal with mine, and that was the intake manifold blew a leak and left all my coolant in the engine bay and street.
The 96-97's have a recall on the intake manifold,only replaceable after it blows usually between 30,000 and 45,000 miles. All work was at no cost to me. Ford got the bill. Mine blew at 46,500 miles. You might find out if its been done on yours yet.
I can tell you that they are more reliable than a GM equivelant car.
Is it worth the money? Yes. As long as your paying what the car is worth according to blue book values. Has this one your looking at been modified any, abused in any way, etc...?
All I can tell you is, If its the right one for you, you'll know it. Try out some others(Mustang GT's)and compare. They're all different, even the same year.
Make sure you check on insurance before you buy too. It can be a real shock!

Good Luck

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,Roush Cold Air kit,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select654.htm

[This message has been edited by T-Bone (edited 04-16-2000).]
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2000, 01:52 PM   #3
jamie403
Registered Member

The car has 65,000 miles on it, and yes I already heard about the shotty intake manifold - I'll ask the seller about that. By the way...hehe...I'm female - so a kick in the balls maybe not, but the insurance I'm sure will be a shocker. And since I am quite the lead foot, my Father will be ecstatic to hear that this is the slowest of all mustangs. It's actually good news to hear that, believe it or not. I'm not really into modifying...I don't have the money to, but maybe someday, eh? And I've already checked the bluebook price, but I've gotten all confused because I don't know exactly what features the car does and doesn't have...I didn't know to check for those exact ones when I was looking at it for the first time. Thankyou for your reply - I do appreciate it a whole lot.
jamie403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2000, 02:29 PM   #4
T-Bone
Registered Member

Smile

Yes, your Father should be happy. It sounds like you are thinking this out well before jumping into something you may regret.

[This message has been edited by T-Bone (edited 04-16-2000).]
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2000, 12:23 AM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hi Jamie!

By and large, 4.6L engines are extremely reliable (except for the aformentioned intake issue)....
The 96 and up vehicles tend to weather the miles very well if properly maintained, maintaining good ride characteristics and a fairly quiet cockpit.

Before you buy any used vehicle, I recommend that you take it to an experienced 3rd party mechanic to check it over. With 65,000 miles, things to check are the engine, the body (for old damage and rust), the frame, the transmission, and the suspension(including struts, shocks, and springs).

Hope this helps...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote