View Single Post
Old 01-04-2002, 11:35 AM   #25
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Mustang Gt 46
Bill, I don't think anybody's gonna flame you because alot of people swap pipes.
Yes you may have not heard of anybody being fined...I have.

I had a case where a shop was seized by (Fedreal EPA) because they were gutting catylytic converters and welding them back together as well as swapping pipes for customers. In the seizure, records were taken and guess who got squeezed the most? ...the people who had it done.

My point was, why take a chance?

Besides, when your dealing with the Police, you don't know if your dealing with the"Terminator" or Officer friendly.

In reference to being Illegal...emissions is a little different than speeding and tint, whether you believe it or not.

Cliff

RELAX
Wrong having illegal emissions is just the same as speeding or tint. All against the law and most of us do it.

That is the shops fault plain and simple. I've heard of shops being closed down for this reason as well but none of their customers were penalized for it. If they were smart they would tell any customer with offroad exhuast that they wouldn't get a receipt or warranty on the work done. That is what the few shops locally do. Then if anything happens there is no evidence of the shop doing anything or traces back to the customer.

Regardless I don't let anyone touch my car other than me or friends for exhaust work.

Now I know the arguement has been stated where people say you'll only get 2-3 more HP anyway so why bother...I'll tell you why. I don't modify my car so it passes emissions, meets or exceeds federal and state laws or is pleasing to those around me. I modify it to race and win! Maybe you or other people can't notice the 2-3 HP, but fact is I get every single bit of power out of my car and on the track and if I lost by .02 or .03 because of cats I'm sure as heck not going to sit back and say oh well at least I'm legal . Of course if you have a blower or other power adder sure 2-3 HP is nothing and chances are it will takes years of practice to even get the power you are making to the ground. But for someone like me running NA where your spending $2K to pick up 5-10HP that 2-3HP is a big difference especially when spending a 1/3 the cash.

You asked before why take the chance...because the only chance that I'll have is loseing a race. Be realistic here no cop is going to pull you over (except maybe California) for exhaust and fine you $10K for offroad exhaust. I asked for an example and I still haven't seen one. Name one case where someone was pulled over and not tied to a shop and busted for having offroad exhaust. Does anyone realized just how many people are on the road today with offroad exhaust?!?! Tens of thousands and if they were all busted and fined at the same time the nation would be out of debt.

By the way I've been pulled over by every type of cop and even once hauled off the jail for drag racing in which he caught me because he heard my offroad exhaust. Now tell me how emissions is "more" illegal than speeding?!?

P.S. I'm simply defending my views and not upset or trying to start a flame war...PEACE!

Bill
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote