View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 08:50 AM   #5
SLOW 97
Registered Member

I'am also 16 and am struggling to afford my GT and don't have much money for mods right now. Many guys tell me I should've bought a 5.0 but I strongly disagree. The 4.6 is a far better engine than the old pushrod engine by far. The modular aftermarket is growing fast. Very fast. Everyone says the modulars have no aftermarket but remember this: the 5.0/302 (in one form or another) has been in 'Stangs for over 30 years now. As far as I'm concerned, it sure as hell better have a bigger aftermarket than the modulars which have only been in Mustangs for 7 years. The early modulars were slow stock (could still beat a 5 liter stock). Now, the newer stock mod engines can roast even a moderately modded 5.0. Everyone complains about the first mod engines only making 215 horsepower (225 in '98). But, if memory serves me correctly, the best 5 liters only made 245 hp in the '94/'95 Cobras. The 'regular' engines only made 225 hp in the '87-'92 ('93 rated at 205 hp) Fox years. Also, the two valves make great ammounts of torque. The modulars also rev much higher than their pushrod counterparts. As for your 15.9 at the track, that's not so good. My stock '97 is auto and I ran a 15.3. I think your having traction problems because of your 2.6 60-ft. Did you haze the tires a little? Drop the pressure a bit too. It'll help a lot. Last, when do you shift? Shifting late isn't good on a relatively stock GT because it stops making power after about 4800 RPM so shift then. Keep trying! You'll get to 14's. PRACTICE!. I ran a 16.9 my first run if it makes you feel any better.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote