View Single Post
Old 05-28-2002, 06:33 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I love the old pushrods are dead and old technology line. Overhead cam engines are older than pushrod technology. Thanks, but their giant 5.7L displacement engine is just as, if not more compact than the 4.6L.

Maybe somebody would like to tell me which engine is superior for naturally aspirated performance.

1) 302ci TFS TW Heads, Holley Intake, TFS #2 cam.

2) 302ci Boss. Stock heads, stage 1 cam, stock intake.

3) 281ci Ported/Polished PI Heads, Bullitt Intake, .550 lift cams.

I can tell you right now combo #1 is going to make somewhere in the neighborhood of 375hp, and combo #2 will be over 400hp. On top of that, you would be safe adding a 125hp shot of nitrous, on the stock bottom end, and even the stock top end if you were 1987-1992 for combo #1, and you could add a supercharger to combo #2 on the stock engine components pushing hp levels to 600.

OHV vs OHC. Neither means anything if the rest of the engine isn't put together with quality parts. The 4.6L's are nice little (displacement) engines. They take up a lot of space, and the SOHC engine doesn't offer exceptional performance potential without forced induction. Neither the DOHC or SOHC engines have good bottom end components.

As far as the question posted above, the stock 2003 Cobra is RATED at 390hp, but it's dynoing near 390rwhp, meaning it's making more like 450. You're talking a chubby Cobra running low/mid 12's on street tires at over 110mph through the traps. If Ford had actually kept an alumium block, and tried to keep the Cobra from becoming a tank with wheels, it would be a solid 11sec on drag radials trapping near 120. I'd take the Cobra. Personally, I'd rather have a 1999, or 2001 Cobra than a 2003 for the price difference.