View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 12:58 PM   #1
crazypete
Registered Member

Question EEC does not energize unless key turned to start

I'm the proud new owner of a 91 mustang gt (bright purple/silver!). She ran like a charm for quite a while. I had to store her for 2 months and when I started driving her again, after about 20-30 minutes, the fuel pump would suddenly die. When I turned the car off and back on again, the pump would not prime. After returning an hour or so later, the car would start right up. Putting the fuel pump on a manual switch for diagnostics reasons surprisingly produced the same stall after 20 mins with the pump still whirring away! I noticed that after such an event, the computer would simply not return any self test codes when queried. The test simply wouldnt engage at all. Then, this weekend, I let it idle for half an hour (I got double 11's on the self test, btw) and it died for good. Check this out, though! The fuel pump will now prime when the car is turned to "start". Then the car will crank, kick in, then spin down peacefully to zero. Holding it at start with the self test wire engaged still produces no response from the computer. All the lights and chimes work normally, but there is no check engine or check oil light (these will also blink on when turned to start). The eec relay will only click when turned to start

I took voltages from the eec relay:
koff
yellow: 12v
red: 0v ground
red/grn: 0v ground
blk/wht: 0v ground

kon
yellow:12v
red: 12v
red/grn: 12v
BLK/WHT: 12v <- huh? that's the ground wire!

so I grounded blk/wht to computer ground and no fuel pump priming, even though the eec relay now clicks

kstart (original blk/wht connection):
yellow:12 v
red: 0v
red/grn:12v
blk/wht: 0v

I can make the fuel pump run by grounding the fp test in the eec connector in the engine bay, so I know shes working.

The ignition column switch seems to be 12v across all the wires in on position except for the starter wire in the back. When turned to start, all the wires on the bottom row are hot.

Please help, this is really wigging me out and I need my mustang fix! There's cruising to be done

Thanks guys, Crazy Pete
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote