View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 02:33 PM   #7
Simi Stang

Default exhaust cross-overs??

Yeah, I'm beginning to get confused myself. Here I thought I identified my problem...but I talked to the Edelbrock tech-line yesterday and he was saying that my #6025 Performer RPM heads might actually be the #6035 heads because those exhaust cross-over holes shouldn't be there on the race/non-smog legal heads?? I bought the heads new from a speed shop a few years ago, with the correct identification of the heads on both the box, and the heads themselves. Everything was marked #6025 though, so I'm pretty sure that information is correct. I think he just confused me more. But he said that if I do end up blocking off the cross-overs that I should keep the coolant lines disconnected from the EGR. But the tech guy also said that I shouldn't use those coated cardboard cross-over plugs that were included in my Fel-Pro #1250 gasket kit. He said eventually they would burn right through. Even though it seems like some type of heavy duty cardboard that is coated on both sides, that does seems logical. Instead, he said to use a small piece of sheet metal and cut it to the same size as the Fel-Pro cross-over plug, but a little thinner...to allow the gasket to compress some. What do you think? He was saying what you were, about how I should be able to leave the exhaust cross-overs open and everything should work fine. Maybe I need to plug them because I DID REMOVE most of my smog equipment, such as: smog pump, hard line from the h-pipe, and all of the plumbing coming from the rear of the cylinder heads. The rear of the heads were blocked off before I put the new motor in. So maybe that is why these holes should be plugged?? Not sure if I mentioned it, but the PCV is new and works fine. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for all the info. so far Wade.