View Single Post
Old 12-17-2002, 05:32 PM   #7
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by 96_4.6
So what happened to just buying a chip and installing it, that wont do anything?? I saw one on ebay go for 185 (diablo) and thats better then 239 i think they are, are there anyones you can just buy and install that work good???
That has never been a good idea and I'll tell you why.

JET, Superchips or any other company that offers a chip for your car that is "off the shelf" meaning they send it to you with little or no information about your car is generic. Generic chips will add a few degrees of timing and maybe pull some fuel pressure but are not tailored for your car specifically. There are tons of different EEC codes for each year car. In 2000 there are like 40 or so and each one is different ever so slightly plus since there are little things different about the way a motor is put together that will also effect the stock tune. The tuner I know did a 2000 GT hours before mine and picked up 20RWHP with a custom tune. My car netted a 5RWHP loss after 4 hours of tuning.

My stock tune was near dead on and the tuner could not improve on it but the guy in front of me was running super rich so by leaning it out to a safe level they picked up great power. So if you gave me one of those off the shelf chips I wouldn't gain anything but the other guy may pick up something. Now to me I'm not ready to gamble away $200-$300 on something that "might" give me power. Most cars don't even need a tune. The only ones that do are power adder cars and cars with lots of work done. With a simple timing adjuster you can pick up the majority of the power you would gain with a chip and have the flexibility of being able to adjust it as you please.

Bill
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote