View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 11:05 AM   #1
skz4u
Registered Member

Default 4.6L Intake spacer!!!!

I just wanted to inform everyone of a cheap method to gaining some upper RPM HP. I got a 7/8 thick piece of aluminum from a local machine shop in my area (free of charge) from their scrap bin. I made a spacer that fits between your upper intake manifold and lower intake manifold. It took two weeks to make with the tools that I had (metal hole saw kit, drill press, & dremel) You can use your lower intake gasket as a template. From my results, I have a 4.6L 2 valve, look at my website for all of my mods: http://96gt.50megs.com/index.html
I found that by adding the spacer increased my usable RPM, and provided a crisper throttle response. My car used to fall off at around 4700RPM. Now I can take it to about 5200 RPM before shifting. Though I don’t have any Dyno info, the car really seems to pick after 3000RPM. You can really notice a difference. It cost me $4.36 total for this mod, the $4 was for 5 longer manifold bolts at AutoZone, and 2 weeks of my time. I also fully ported the upper intake, bringing it to an almost mirror finish. Since only air flows through the upper intake, and not fuel, you don’t have to have the rough finish to promote better air/fuel atomization as in wet intakes. If you want some pics, and a detailed report on how I did this mod, E-mail me at skz4u@yahoo.com.
skz4u is offline   Reply With Quote