View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
boister
Registered Member

Default the answer!

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Beer:

If you had a vert and a blonde sitting next to you, I would say it's the wind blowing through her ears (lol).

If it's a bearing, it will be a high pitch whine that will get higher as the rpm rev and then will go away as the pitch gets too high to hear. If it is a noisy bearing, it will eventually crap out. Most likely the alternator bearing if any.

Here is what you can do. Get a long, flat-head screw driver. With the motor running, place the flat head end on any of the bearings in question one at a time. Put your ear directly on the handle of the screw driver and listen. This will help isolate the sound to each bearing and amplify it. Then, have someone rev the motor. You will know it when you hear it.

Also, does it make the sound ONLY when your foot is off the clutch? Try pressing the clutch in and out. Does this make the noise stop? If so, then it is most likely your throw-out (TO) bearing. Most people describe a noisy throw-out bearing as sounding like a cricket.

If it is the TO bearing, then you are fine. Part costs pennies but $500 to replace. I would say let it go until you need a new clutch. However, you might be able to get it replaced by the dealer who sold the car to you if you get on it right away.
I took the car to the shop and its something to do with the heater core. Thats why I hear the noise coming through the vents. It does sound like a supercharger at 2000rpm. They are going to replace the hoses and the heater core for me. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks for all of your help!
boister is offline   Reply With Quote