View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Torinalth
Registered Member

Default Re: Cobra R Engine 5.4L V8

one thing you are forgetting is that the Cobra R was vastly different in many respects. if you just pull the Navi engine you will not have a cobra R. First thing that is different was the compression. the pistons themselves were light weight (as well as the rods) and i believe came to a 11.5:1 CR. the heads were not the navi heads, they were a custom job spacific to the R. the cam grind is not the same, though i have heard that it was the same grind as the 99 cobra... just have not confirmed that. and of course the timing was raised to 14*. all this was the 4v architecture was what gave thhe cobra R the power.

personaly i'd not go that route, but do it better and ceaper and easier. since you have access to all the ford parts (discounted perhapse) i'd take this route: get a 99 cobra aluminum block, bore it to .040 over, sleeve it, lightweight stroker crank, lightweight I beams, flat top pistons, VT stage 2 heads, VT stage 2 cams, steeda UD pullies & TA, Fox lake intake manifold, 75mm TB, DeMolet CAI. this in total should bring you to a 5.2L engine with a 12:1 CR. the heads and cams with the TA will get all the intern flow solid. with a good exhaust this should put down around 350 to the wheels (more then the cobra R). this is the route i am going though i might never get to the stroker due to money. I know its not as prestegious as a "Cobra R engine" but will cost less, take less time, and make more power. just a thought.

Torinalth