View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #63
jaxter1
Registered Member

Uh-oh, bit of encouragement, I'm off again.....OK, lets establish there is no "perfect" auto....though it's getting there....Tiptronic still's buggy...but manually deploying a clutch, real-time, and controlling your gearing/throttle will always be a more natural (and lighter and less buggy) way to drive a car, straight line spinning out or in curves. A housewife in a 350hp X-class Bimmer....that's one approach to driving. Prob breeze past man. Gt's and Cobra's every time, rain or shine, -when not expected.....but any monkey with a stick can outgun much higher-HP auto cars right off the line, AND through the gears, when they know how to use the tranny and feel like it. Back in the day, my last 5.0 had a good 1/2 sec lead on any auto 'stang. That t-5 was glass, but still better than the cruddy AOD back then. Now that I have a stock Tremec, I feel no need for worry. But hey, it all comes down to FUN. Only a housewife considers an auto Bimmer fun. Also, isn't that newer AOD squatted out at a very low top speed? Just curious about that....and let's not get into final drive ratios or mileage, either...hohoho. My GT is a challenge at top speed with the top down, stupid fun......on the other hand, any sane person would enjoy a fastback auto even if it's slower at WOT/FDR.
jaxter1 is offline   Reply With Quote