MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-30-2003, 07:48 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default I messed up and i need help.

I need help fast people.This is what happened.I was driving along at lunch time,and my friend asked me how i drive when i race.So i did,powershifted.And as soon as i did that i smelled smoke.Soon after that the car was filled with smoke,and i knew imediately what it was.It was the power cable going to my system.And stupid me didn't put a fuse on the cable,so it melted all the way through.The problem is,the wire that melted doesn't touch ANYTHING except the other speaker wires and such,and yet my car doesn't work right now.The window doesn't go down by itself anymore,i have to hold the switch pressed,but that's not the problem.The reason why i need help fast is because my wipers don't work at all.Here's the thing though.I went ahead and checked my fuses on the car,and inside the car where the fuse box is,the fuse number 32 burned up.So i replaced it,and every time i turn the car key on on,that same fuse burns out.Could it be that?And what could be causing it to burn out every time.I don't have an owners manual for the car,where could i find out what that fuse does?I would really apreciate any help.Thank you.It's a 2000 mustang gt btw.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:48 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

Sounds like you have a grounded wire somewhere. The power surge that melted the (stereo wires?) or power wire may have shorted other wires in the wire harness. This is usually a hard thing to find unless the wires are exposed. Call the dealer and try to get the service dept to let you know what that fuse does and have them print out a wire diagram. You may be able to trace that wire and find the grounded out area.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:09 PM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Ok i couldn't wait for responses,so i went out and tried to go through every wire on the system,and sounds like you are right surfbeast.The power wire was melted to one of the wires comming from the stereo and somehow that was causing the problem.i isolated the wire,and put a new fuse in,and it worked.The fuse was responsible for 2 things that i know of.The power windows,and the windshield wipers.Everything seems to be working great right now.It's raining all the time here in florida,and i wouldn't wanna go to work without wipers.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:25 AM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

Good work You may want to investigate a little more if you havn't already. Nothing worse than a hidden wiring problem.

Way to go!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #5
ac97gt
Registered Member

yeah, wires melted together shorting it out will definitely cause that... glad to hear its working... now add a fuse to your system power cable!!!!

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

I gotta tell you guys driving without any music is so great.The car just sounds...i can't think of a word.But if anyone wants to put a mac off road x-pipe,and a magnaflow cat back,i can tell you one thing.Go for it.The car is pretty much dead silent at idle,but if you step on it,it's pure extasy.Anyway,i don't think i could go on without music even though the subs alone are about 60 pounds.When we go out somewhere it's just a must.Next time i will definitely do a better job.And i encourage everyone else to do so as well.It's for your own good.