MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-30-2001, 12:12 AM   #1
FiveOGirl
Registered Member

Post Springs

Hey I need some advise on springs... i have a 2001 convertible GT... I want to lower the car and get good handling but it is my daily driver so i dont wanna be bouncing all over the place... I was told motorsport C springs were good. I was looking into eibachs but i was told they are really stiff.... anyone have any sugestions??
FiveOGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:34 AM   #2
cvenom96
Registered Member

I think the "C" springs are stiff as well. If you go with the Eibachs get the progressive rate spring instead of specific. I've riden in a car with these and while it is stiffer, it won't knock your teeth out!

------------------
96 Crystal White Cobra Coupe
4:10 gears, off-road h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, K&N, pulleys, FMS springs, polyurethane bushing, Steeda Caster/Camber plates
cvenom96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 12:18 PM   #3
FiveOGirl
Registered Member

So Is the progressive the pro kit or the sportline? Or should i just ask for progresive rate springs when i order them?
FiveOGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 12:46 PM   #4
cvenom96
Registered Member

Brothers Performance has just what you need. It's called progressive spring kit for 79-01 mustangs. I believe there springs are made by Eibach. I'll try to put a link to page for you. If not they are $219.
http://www.brothersperformance.com/s...g/bbk2510.html

------------------
4:10 gears, off-road h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, K&N, pulleys, FMS springs, polyurethane bushing, Steeda Caster/Camber plates
Old 08-30-2001, 01:12 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Another good choice for you might be H&R Sport springs. They are progressive rate, not much stiffer than stock, and lower the car about 1.5".

Maximum Motorsports sells them:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/hrtable.html
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:57 PM   #6
cvenom96
Registered Member

I agree on that too.

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 10:10 PM   #7
ncbflo
Registered Member

On the topic of springs. If the car is lowered 1 to 1.5 inches does that affect the stock shocks?
ncbflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:48 AM   #8
cvenom96
Registered Member

Usually you would want to get new shocks and struts to compensate for the stiffer springs. The ones on my car aren't that much stiffer than stock and the ride really isn't that bad with the stock shocks and struts. I am however get a stiffer set of springs soon and will definetly get either a set of Koni's or Tokico's to dampen the stiffer spring rate.

------------------
Old 09-05-2001, 10:37 PM   #9
Phlea96gt
Registered Member

cvenom96, just picke up my 96 GT, had Koni adjustables and Eibachs put on (Pro-kit) and sub-frame connectors welded in. Feels like a different car, ride is actually more comfortable, handling seems improved too. Will have to wait to get some body work done to do a thorough test drive, but that is a whole different story.
Phlea96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 07:50 AM   #10
cvenom96
Registered Member

Hey Phlea, how much did that pro-kit drop your car? It didn't look like my FMS springs really lowered my car the 1 1/2" that they were supposed to. The koni d/a's are awesome. I'm hoping by the end of the year to do the same to mine.

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 03:54 PM   #11
Phlea96gt
Registered Member

I did not do any measuring but I suspect that the drop was at least the advertised 1.5 inches. Only because it is easily noticeable, from looking at the car at any angle, and noticeable sitting in the car. I will eventually post pictures so you can take a look. i do not think I got the Koni double adjustables, if I remember correctly the set (of four) for the d/a's were nine hundred and change, mine were a couple hundred less and are "single adjust". But the difference is amazing. Eventually if I start to seriously Autocross or road race I will consider the D/A's, the sales guy actually talked me out of them, stating that the singles were a great value, and the doubles were overkill for anything but flat out track racing.
Phlea96gt is offline   Reply With Quote