MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-14-2001, 03:39 PM   #1
MustangNewbie
Registered Member

Question Help for a new guy

I got my first Mustang about 5 months ago.
00 GT Laser Red.
Well I cliped a construction barrel and broke my mirror. I ordered a replacemnet mirror and I am about to attempt to put it on. I have the Mach 460 sterreo. I am assuming I am going have to remove the speaker to get to the stuff that is holding the rest of my mirror on. Any tips on getting the speaker off etc... so I can replace my mirror?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Also any suggestions for some inexpensive firs Mods I can do myself?
MustangNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 08:07 PM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

If the newer Stangs are like my 96GT, the black cover over the Mach 460 speaker by the window should just pop off. It might take a little prying but should come off easily. Underneath the cover you should find the bolts that hold the mirror assembly. There really shouldn't be anything to it.
As far as first mods, keep in mind what the ultimate goal of your car will be. You should be ok to start with gears like 3:73's or 4:10's depending on driving style. They won't add hp but will multiply torque and give your Stang some get up and go. The ever faithful K&N filter is a good choice. Don't get too hooked on changing out your mufflers and pipes right off the bat. A catback system alone won't net you any real hp but changing the stock hpipe to an aftermarket h or x pipe will work wonders. Hpipes will help with torque down low and Xpipes will help with power up top (generally speaking). An off road setup without cats will net the best gains but hiflow setups (2 cats) are effective as well.
Someone else can add or correct here, but that should be some info to get you going.

Good luck,
Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 10:02 AM   #3
99JasonGT
Registered Member

As far as cheap mods go, I got an off-road x-pipe and some pullies...total price was 250, and I've felt some gains just from that. Getting rid of the cats was the best thing I've done so far...the sound isn't quite as good as I want, but for another 150 I can get some hi flow mufflers and it'll be rumblin' down the strip...so we're talking about 400 bucks for some extra hp...like the other guy said, the 3.73 gears are next for me...only 200 for those too.
99JasonGT is offline   Reply With Quote