MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-05-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
XTheOwl
Registered Member

Default Just how much faster....

OK, I am very green at performance modifications, seeing as I've only had my car for a week, so I was just wondering:

How much time will 3.73 gears and underdrive pulleys shave off quartermile and 0-60 times? Are we talking a tenth of a second at best? Half a second?

What if I added an H or X pipe? Another tenth of a second? Or is this just for sound?

Thanks for any help,

xto
XTheOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Owl - We need to know some details about your car. Model (I'm assuming a Mustang, but Cobra or GT) and year would help along with transmission type.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Oh - It was a while ago but I'm pretty sure my gears knocked at least .3 off my quarter time.
3.1" Pulley
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
XTheOwl
Registered Member

Thanks for the info,

My car is a 2000 GT Convertible 5-speed, all stock, 18k miles.

So how much of a difference would the exhaust make?

The pulleys?

Any other mods people have timed before and after?

Thanks again,

xto
Old 05-08-2003, 06:15 AM   #5
V8Mustang
Registered Member

Assuming good traction and good, consistent driving, gears (3.73s or 4.10s) will knock 3 to 5 tenths off your quarter mile times. Steeda underdrive pulleys will drop another 1 to 1.5 tenths. A good h, x or pro chamber mid pipe will knock another 1 - 2 tenths off. Long tube headers are the way to go for max power but you have to get a matching mid pipe, x, h, or pro chamber - decide if you want to go this route prior to buying your mid pipe.

A good mod to do while you are changing the pulleys is the Steeda timing adjuster (good for about one tenth reduction). Other good mods include a cold air kit or C&L mass air meter (both dyno proven to add 10-15 HP), a Steeda intake spacer and 70 mm throttle body.

With good suspension, great driving and traction (ie slicks) and all of the above mods (long tubes & 4.10s), hard top cars will run high 12s - low 13s. A vert will typically run 2-4 tenths slower due to the weight. And, before you bang on the car too hard, get an aftermarket shifter to help with your driving and to help protect your trans. Have fun with your new car!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
XTheOwl
Registered Member

V8,

Thank you VERY much for all that info. That helps alot.

I just have a couple more questions:

How much of a difference would a performance chip/module make?

If I get the chip first, and then later go with pulleys, 3.73 gear's, h-pipe, and a K&N filter, will I have to get the chip reprogrammed for the new stuff?

Thanks yet again,

xto
Old 05-08-2003, 01:38 PM   #7
GTvert
Registered Member

I have a 2001 gt convertible with 4:10s,which I love,steeda underdrives,bbk offroad x-pipe,and a hypertech programmer.The programmer was a noticeable difference.I had to get something to fix my speedo,and it fixes it plus tunes your car , changes rev limiter among other things.My tranny had no speedo gear to change like the older ones, and ford could not change the computer.with the above mods on street tires I run around 13.7 in the quarter,I'm convinced I can drop at least a couple tenths off it if i let it cool down since I have a hour and a half drive to the track.Your convert should act about the same as mine.But I highly recommend the 4.10s ,I still get over 20mpg on hwy.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:36 AM   #8
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Owl - Unless you go supercharged or nitrous, a chip isn't going to do too much for you. Without a power adder (sc or nitrous) a chip really only makes a difference if you have an automatic, which you don't. For all the mod's you've listed ( computer, pulleys, 3.73 gear's, h-pipe, and a K&N filter), the gear is going to make the single biggest difference which you will really feel seat of the pants driving around town, with 4.10's you will notice a huge difference. Everything else you're not going to notice unless you go to the track, and at the track the single biggest item to improve your times are drack slicks and practice. If money is no object definitely have fun doing all you listed (you'd be better off just going supercharged with all the money you'd spend in my opinion), but if money is any consideration do gears first for real power (about $500 to $650 fully installed with speed cal), just mufflers (about $200 installed) for the sound of power, and then a separate set of rear wheels with slicks if you are going to the track. As far as your question concerning reprogramming after your mod's.... when you have the gears put in you will either have to have a speed cal installed (about $100 installed) or have your computer reprogrammed for the new gears to fix your speedo. Reprogramming the computer after mods is best done with a dyno tune, and without a supercharger a dyno tune really isn't worth it for all the mod's you's have to do to make it worth while, and then you still would only possibly gain 5-15 rwhp because of the dyno tune on a non-sc car. And you aren't going to feel that kind of gain around town.
3.1" Pulley
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's