MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-29-2001, 09:23 AM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Red face Feel like a bonehead.....

Well my buddy and I did the water pump and the electric fan yesterday. I swear we turn a 2-3 hour project into a 10 hour project everytime with this car! Put the waterpump on, got the fan installed, and started to fill the radiator with antifreeze and water. All of a sudden water is pouring out of the back of the pump. Took off the pump, messed with it some more, put it back on, and bam water leaking out the back. COuldn't figure it out. Turns out we forgot to use the pump to plate gasket. well meanwhile we trashed both gaskets. I assume I can call Stewart Water Pumps and have them send me 2 more gaskets? Ended up having to put the stock pump back on. We had fun, just feel like a couple of boneheads. Thanks for those who gave advice before we started this.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 09:28 AM   #2
Green92LX
Registered Member

I think everybody has done stupid $hit like this before...you get SOOOOO into it that your mind starts playing games with you...

Look at it this way: good thing you weren't doing a head swap!!!!!!!

------------------
1992 LX:V-1 S-Trim ,Edelbrock 6037 Heads,Cobra Intake,E-303,1.6 Rollers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP,24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers,Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors,Ponies w/ 225/50 Nitto NT 450's on front,255/50 BFG Drags out back,93 Cobra Spoiler
Daily driver 89 Coupe:BBK shorties,offroad,flowturds with dumps,soon to be cyber green
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:14 AM   #3
Capri306

Yeah, at least it's nothing major.

Here's a funny: One time a customer of mine put power steering fluid into her windshield washer reservoir. Not too bright, but other than the streaks left on the windshield & car, didn't really hurt that much.

Can't you pick up the gaskets at a local parts store?

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:21 AM   #4
rj_stang
Registered Member

Well the common one is brake fluid in the power steering or visa versa. Seen that happen a couple times. Luckly not me though.
rj_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 12:47 PM   #5
Moxie
Registered Member

Have you guys ever seen the fuel used in gas R/C cars? It's light blue, just like windshield wiper fluid. Well, we messed around with R/C cars one weekend, and the left a bottle of gas in the garage. My buddy's dad thought it was washer fluid, and put it in his truck. That stuff eats paint, you know...

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 01:00 PM   #6
Green92LX
Registered Member

On the RC car topic, one of my idiot friends almost bit it with that gas. My buddy had some of that RC gas in a snapple bottle (not too bright) and this other idiot picked it up and was about a half a second from drinking it before he smelled that $hit. That stuff reaks (yuck)

------------------
1992 LX:V-1 S-Trim ,Edelbrock 6037 Heads,Cobra Intake,E-303,1.6 Rollers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP,24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers,Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors,Ponies w/ 225/50 Nitto NT 450's on front,255/50 BFG Drags out back,93 Cobra Spoiler
Daily driver 89 Coupe:BBK shorties,offroad,flowturds with dumps,soon to be cyber green
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 03:48 PM   #7
5.0SN95GT

Unhappy

One time I was changing a flat on my 93GT. I took off all the bolts first, then when I tried to put the jack under the car, I realized I was too close to the side walk, so I started up my car, to move it further in the street when I heard this awfull sound. Stupid me, I forgot to put the lugs back onto the wheel, before backing up the car. I swear I felt like the dummest person on earth and hope no one had seen what I had just did. :d
Old 03-29-2001, 03:48 PM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

Gasoline in a glass bottle? I know what you guys were doin..........
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 05:07 PM   #9
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Talking

We feel your pain. I can remember doing jobs like the water pump two and three times over for the same reason you did; forgetting something or else just doing it wrong.
Makes you want to scream and cry at the same time. Feeling dumb is mandatory while learning. I later learned to either read the manual (and keep it handy while doing the job) or do the job with an experienced friend around that would 'instruct' me and keep me out of trouble while I learned how to do it the right way. I still do this on big jobs. We never stop learning and screwing things up is part of that process, I'm afraid. Even the best mechanics do it once in awhile....I've seen it happen. You guys are just a part of that long line of folks who have leftover parts after the job is 'finished' or need more than one try to get it on right. The good part (besides getting to hang out with your bud and work on your 'Stang) is when it does fit/work right and you have the pride of knowing that you did it and it's now done right.

[This message has been edited by Mr 5 0 (edited 03-29-2001).]
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 08:51 PM   #10
Chris_H
Registered Member

Talking

Well here is some good news about Stewart Water Pumps customer service. I called them this morning and told them what I had done and that I needed some new gaskets. The lady was very polite, said that she had all my info already that she needed and would ship the gaskets out today. My buddy and I are still laughing about what we did, and wondered why we had 2 gaskets, just figured one was a spare! Ohh well, we learned that we can take the pump off in about 10-15 minutes now! Glad to see everybody else has got some good stories too!

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 08:51 PM   #11
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

well during my intake install, (the one where i screwed something up so bad that i cant figure out what the problem is) after everything was put back on i tried to start it and ...nothing happened, got it to TDC and put the rotor at #1 and tried it and it still didnt work, i was dumbfounded, i ended up looking back over the plug wire situation and i have FRPP 9mm wires in which the wire from the coil is labeled #7 , well i had the coil wire going to the #7 cylinder terminal and vice versa, i bet the reason why was the friend that was helping me was a GM mechanic

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Explorer intake, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rocker and intake install
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote