MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-2002, 02:31 AM   #1
1/4HORSE
Registered Member

Red face Weakest Link

I've got a 2000 gt with some simple mods(pulleys, throttle body,etc.) I'm planning to buy a blower some time this spring or summer.(don't know which brand or type yet) I've read at many sites that both the tranny (t45) and the bottom end of the 4.6 is kinda weak... What I'm trying to find out is #1 How much boost could I run ? #2 How much hp and/or torque can the engine and the tranny withstand ? #3 Is there any preforance to which brand or type of blower I should look into i.e.(vortec,paxton,roush etc...roots type or centralfugal) Thanks for all your help.

My Mustang
1/4HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 06:58 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

The T45 and the rear end are not weak, they just weren't designed for applications with high-torque numbers...

My stock T45 lasted about a year with about 450 hp at the crank. I'm currently looking at a Tremec TKO for replacement.
The stock rear end could use some work right about now too, so I expect to do some work back there also in the spring. (Bearings, Shims and seals)

As far as blowers, the amount of boost you can run on a near stock setup is usually determined by what type of blower you are looking for.
With a roots type, I would stay around 6 psi.
A centrifugal blower, about 8 psi.

I would advise some engine work before going any higher than that.

As in any blown application, watch your compression ratio and be safe out there...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 03:02 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

One big thing that'll help your tranny is an aftermarket shifter. The rear end, like Adam said, is a good one. The 8.8 is actually pretty strong. When you go to really sticky tires like slicks is when it starts to take a toll on the rear end.

The roots blower will give you more torque right off the bat because it doesn't have to spool up like the centrifugal. But the centrifugal has the advantage on the upper end of the hp range in the higher rpms. Both will help greatly with hp and torque. Just depends on your combination/application of mods and use of the car as to whether you need the power a little sooner or a little later. Just look at Adam's stang running 450hp with the centrifugal.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:07 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

As far as the stock bottom end of the 4.6 goes, 400-450hp is about the limit from what I hear.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 06:52 AM   #5
1/4HORSE
Registered Member

Question HAMMER

O.K. thanks for the info. But one more question. If I buy a roots style blower you say to run about 6psi...how come the centrifugal can run at 8psi ? Is it because the roots makes so much more low RPM torque or is there some other reason , and will the aftermarket pulleys effect the performance of the blower ?

My Mustang
1/4HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:05 AM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

The recommended PSI differences are just in the nature of the beasts. One of the reasons is certainly the high torque output at low rpms of the roots style.... along with other issues that others may be able to explain better than I....
Remember that output doesn't necessarily directly respond to boost numbers. Case in point: An intercooled setup can produce more horspower at 8 psi than a non-intercooled unit at 10 psi.

As fas as pullies go... Almost every blower setup I know of either comes with their own set or expects you to use the stock pieces.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote