MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-2002, 03:17 PM   #1
wantapony2001
Registered Member

Default How can i beat a Vette?

i just bought an automatic 99 gt with 21k on it, its all stock for now, my brother-in-law has an automatic 2000 vette, not a z06 tho, and he still smokes me,what can i do to jack up lots of horsepower yet still keep the car as a daily driver
wantapony2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:44 PM   #2
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Side swipe him!

Seriously though if your looking to beat him you better be ready to spend some cash. It will pretty much take a blower, turbo or nitrous if you want to be able to beat him. Sure it can be done NA but that will take a good amount of money, work, suspension, tires, etc... to do it. A stock 2000 vette is easily capable of low 13's in stock form. As you can see by my signature it takes just about every bolt-on, gears, suspension, slicks and practice to get into the high 12s.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:49 PM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

The easiest way would be to add a poweradder such as a supercharger or turbo kit. There are a lot of different kits available, and it'll all come down to how far you want to take it and how much money you want to spend.
Give us an idea of how much your willing to spend, and we can help you out.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 12:51 AM   #4
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Default Re: How can i beat a Vette?

Quote:
Originally posted by wantapony2001
i just bought an automatic 99 gt with 21k on it, its all stock for now, my brother-in-law has an automatic 2000 vette, not a z06 tho, and he still smokes me,what can i do to jack up lots of horsepower yet still keep the car as a daily driver
Check my Sig. if you would like to get it done by several car lengths. I beat a 00 Silver C5 at Westhampton 2 weeks ago by many car lengths. He wasn't happy. All of the bolt-ons would put you close until you are near 100+ mph. Then you would need a poweradder.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 11:07 PM   #5
gtsr515
Registered Member

Actually the easiest way would be nitrous, you need to really think what you really want from the car, screw the Vette, we got bigger GM's to fry, a LS1 vette is easy, THINK BIGGER!
Old 02-16-2002, 08:29 AM   #6
Ruzman17
Registered Member

Unfortunately my friend for what it would cost you to build any Mustang up enough to beat a Vette, you'd be better off buying a Vette in the first place. It's a shame that Ford doesn't give us a reasonably priced Mustang that can even compete with the Vette.
I think it sucks that Ford's only competitive choice is the Cobra R which technically isn't a production Mustang which is why only 300 were made in 2000. Even more disgusting is the fact that you'd have to drop close to $65,000.00 to own the only Ford vehicle that can compete with a stock Vette which you can buy at any Corvette dealer for around $40,000.00!
Ford is starting to take off the skirt and put some pants on though. The 2003 Cobra (Terminator replacement) is supposed to have a supercharged 4.6 putting out 390 HP which will still be about 10-15 HP shy of a Vette, but atleast it can compete and the list price is around $35,000.00 from what i'm reading on the web.
I love my Mustang and wouldn't trade it for a Vette, but I'd like to know that If I needed to I could hang around with the big boys from Chevrolet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000835.jpg (111.7 KB, 28 views)
K&N Filtercharger
Bassani X-Pipe w/ Cats
Bassani Quiet Thunder Cats-Back w/ 3 1/2" Tips
UPR Blu-Thunder NS Shifter
3.73's
UPR Billet Pedal Kit
Kenny Brown Subframe Connectors
Kenny Brown Shocktower Brace
Ruzman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:03 AM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Ruzman17 You've GOT to be kidding. A GT costs around 20K, for 5K you could have is running with the vette.

If I remember correctly there was a MM/FF artical about someone installing N2O on their auto 99 GT. It had gears, full exhaust, throttle body and mass-air, and cold air induction. I think that's it. With a 100 hp shot, it ran a 12.71

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:58 AM   #8
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
Ruzman17 You've GOT to be kidding. A GT costs around 20K, for 5K you could have is running with the vette.

If I remember correctly there was a MM/FF artical about someone installing N2O on their auto 99 GT. It had gears, full exhaust, throttle body and mass-air, and cold air induction. I think that's it. With a 100 hp shot, it ran a 12.71
I agree 100%. I bought my 99 GT new in 98 for 23K. I added about 5K in mods(gears, exhaust, converter & V2 S-trim @ 12 psi) and never lost to a vette in the street. Now it's just plain ugly. When my built shortblock goes in shortly, I will have still spent much less than a Vette and will have a mid/low 10 sec. daily driver that is built from end to end with potential to easily go 9s. Take a new GT, put in a blower and you will have spent around 25-26K in total and you will be able to beat STOCK ls1s. Add a built shortblock, fuel system and you will still have spent much less and turn the boost up. The last vette I raced I beat by over 10 cars by 110 mph. I doubt he was wondering how much I spent but was wondering how did he just get his *** beat so badly.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 02:33 PM   #9
98 NosStang
Registered Member

Default nitrous...150 shot ...

my oldman has a 2000 c5 vette that has a couple of bolt ons, cold air intake and borla exhaust with no cats he also has an automatic. and i have a 1998 gt convertible automatic, i was running the exact times as him with mickey thompson et street drag radials, a 255 lph bbk fuel pump, and a 150 shot of dry nitrous by nos. you can probably go with a 100 shot of dry nitrous, which is a power adder that is there only when you need it and not always dragging on the engine and tranny , like the blowers and turbos, i have had both i really enjoyed the nos system., but i am now using a vortech blower, but i had to do alot in order to get the blower running right.....i say nos is cheap and fast horsepower when you need it . unless you run out...heheh. thats where the blower comes in handy.. oh well like i said i was taking out my dads c5 vette that is a zo6 killer with 150 shot dry nitrous, 255 lph bbk fuel pump and alot of traction.... both automatics/// think about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a-whole-shot-my-car.jpg (8.5 KB, 25 views)
1998 MUSTANG GT 4.6L /Convertible, Automatic. Flowmasters, JBA shorty headers chrome, X-Pipes custom made, 3.73 Gears FMS, 70MM fms T-BODY, VORTECH SQ-TRIM V2 supercharger (6 lbs), HKS SSQ Blow off valve, Aluminum custom made inlet pipe(gives 1lb. more of boost), 2000 Gt PI heads and cams Machine shop worked, 2000 gt intake manifold , W/BBK Filter, FMS 30 lbs fuel injectors, DIABLO sport chip, PRO-M 80mm, 6:1 FMU VORTECH, BBK Fuel Pump 255 lph, Excel 400 secondary fuel pump, 4-Point HOOKER HEADERS chrome roll bar, NEX Racing bucket seats(19 LBS PER SEAT), 5-Point harnesses, JE CERAMIC FORGED PISTONS & RINGS, MANLEY RODS, Srp pins, and The block was honed and worked in a machine shop, Mark Luton Racing Rear seat delete kit., Cobra Cowl 4" Hood, Saleen S351 wing, TYC tail lights...
98 NosStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 02:45 PM   #10
98 NosStang
Registered Member

Default [B]sorry i made a mistake.[/B]

sorry i made a mistake. i lied i also had 373 gears, and cold air intake by bbk... so you will probably end up spending a bit. butit is well worth the fun of spanking a chevy... beleive me i smoke all the f- bodys that come test me at a stop light or on the turnpike in miami,,,,its funny to fly by and watch them try to play the catch up game but they just cant....hehe but this has also cost me alot of money to get this fast for my 3,998lbs of mustang, and it is already asking for a new tranny, my automatic is slipping and not being forgiving....goodluck. tony
1998 MUSTANG GT 4.6L /Convertible, Automatic. Flowmasters, JBA shorty headers chrome, X-Pipes custom made, 3.73 Gears FMS, 70MM fms T-BODY, VORTECH SQ-TRIM V2 supercharger (6 lbs), HKS SSQ Blow off valve, Aluminum custom made inlet pipe(gives 1lb. more of boost), 2000 Gt PI heads and cams Machine shop worked, 2000 gt intake manifold , W/BBK Filter, FMS 30 lbs fuel injectors, DIABLO sport chip, PRO-M 80mm, 6:1 FMU VORTECH, BBK Fuel Pump 255 lph, Excel 400 secondary fuel pump, 4-Point HOOKER HEADERS chrome roll bar, NEX Racing bucket seats(19 LBS PER SEAT), 5-Point harnesses, JE CERAMIC FORGED PISTONS & RINGS, MANLEY RODS, Srp pins, and The block was honed and worked in a machine shop, Mark Luton Racing Rear seat delete kit., Cobra Cowl 4" Hood, Saleen S351 wing, TYC tail lights...
98 NosStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 07:00 PM   #11
Ruzman17
Registered Member

You's guys are right. I was venting a little too much. It just peeves me that Ford makes us HAVE to spend all this extra money just to get the kind of horsepower that Chevy gives it's sportscars STOCK!
Not till next year will we get a stock Mustang with 390 HP. If that's what the Cobra is going to put out than I think the GT better put out atleast 350 HP. If we're lucky they'll probably give the GT the now current Cobra 4.6 4V (320 HP) but just re-name the engine. That would be acceptable.
None the less....we shouldn't have to spend and additional $4,000.00+ for a supercharger or a blower and another $1,500.00+ for suspension upgrades just to compete with what the Chevy boys get stock.
I moan but I'm right there with you guys paying for the upgrades. I haven't done any engine mods yet but I feel it's important to have the suspension to handle the increased HP that engine mods provide. I've already handled the exhaust upgrades to an extent for now. So next upgrade is suspension.
K&N Filtercharger
Bassani X-Pipe w/ Cats
Bassani Quiet Thunder Cats-Back w/ 3 1/2" Tips
UPR Blu-Thunder NS Shifter
3.73's
UPR Billet Pedal Kit
Kenny Brown Subframe Connectors
Kenny Brown Shocktower Brace
Ruzman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 08:24 PM   #12
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Throughout history, Ford has really never made a Mustang that would whoop up on chevy's, except for the few years that the 5.0L was King of the Streets. So lets be honest here, how are we still complaining about chevy's winning in a drag stock vs. stock? Its been that way for almost 40 years now.
Ford has never been able to make a Mustang that can take out a Vette. Hell, even Shelby's GT500 didn't win in tests against the top Vette of the day. You can hardly be mad that Ford doesn't make a Vette Killer.
The Vette is created with the absolute best parts they can put on the car and still sell it for what they do. The Vette is an image builder for Chevy, so they go as far as they can, while still breaking even. Heck, Dodge loses money for every Viper they build (again, image builder.)
The Mustang is made to be sold at $18K, and go up from there. And Ford needs to make $ on it. So its plainly obvious that the Mustang's chasis will never be in the same catagory as the Vette's.
Finally Ford is building a Cobra worthy of the nameplate. The LS1's have been giving every performance vehicle that comes across its path on the streets a black eye. So finally, Ford is returning the punch. We all know that the 390 HP rating is probably conservative. I never see any SC'd 4V's with less then 450hp, and they don't even have the bottom end like this new Cobra is going to have. So I think it will be pretty common to see some 500+ hp cobra's running the street with only bolt on's.
The GT will probably stay the same power. Its at a real sweet spot in the price market right now.
Word is Ford may build the Mach 1 to take the Cobra's place at ~$29-30,000 range. With a solid axle and 300+ 4v power, it should do just fine.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:06 AM   #13
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Ruzman17 a Mustang is CHEAPER to make faster. A GT cost's around 20K, a Z-28 goes for around 30K. So you could add a blower to your GT, out run LS-1's, and still have 6 grand in you pocket.

And the next time a Vette challenges you to a race. Tell em "Sure, first one to the line with 5 passengers wins"

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote