MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2002, 07:32 PM   #1
iamthecheeseman
Registered Member

Default What can $3,000 buy for my new GT?

Hey everyone, this is my first post. Wahoo! yeah, anyway.... I just ordered a new, fully loaded 2002 gt. I WAS planning on ordering the new cobra, but as it turns out ford is refusing to sell the new cobras, as well as thunderbirds, on the z plan because of the limited number being produced. (the z plan gives discounts to people who work or used to work for ford). The guy told me that ford is only releasing 6 new cobras to each dealer, so I need some advice of how to boost some extra horses out of this car. I will have about 3 grand to spend on extras. I would like to get, if not more, about 60 extra hp. But here's the deal- I dont want anything that is either going to skrew up my engine or void my warantee. This includes Nitrous, Turbo, and supercharger. Since I'm just getting into fords, it would be great if anyone could tell me what kind of hp gains i can expect from each mod they list. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Mike
iamthecheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 01:06 AM   #2
rberger
Registered Member

Don't you mean the X plan.....Thats how I got my '96.

I am not too sure what would void your waranty, but if done properly, a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous will not screw up the motor.

I am not too seasoned in mustang mods, but it would seem to me that it is going to be very tough to get 60hp more without going with any of the above 3 items.

'95 Yamaha FZR 600R
rberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 11:31 AM   #3
iamthecheeseman
Registered Member

Default x and z plan

well, the x plan gives discounts to people who work for ford, but the difference is that the z plan is for close relatives. Ex: my father used to work for ford so we get discounts on the z plan.
It used to be the A plan, but they changed it for some odd reason. Very confusing. Anyway, does anyone here know about superchargers or turbos voiding warentees? I just looked around a little and I found that some people offer istallation warantees and such for up to 2 years. Has anyone ever had experience with this?
thanks,
Mike
Old 02-18-2002, 07:56 PM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I would install:
Gears $500
headers $300
off-road H-pipe $125
2 1/2" cat-back $250
73mm mass-air mete $250
65mm throttle body $180

I need some more info. Is your car gonna be a stick or a auto?

p.s. the prices listed are estimates

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 12:44 PM   #5
iamthecheeseman
Registered Member

Default stick

Its going to be a stick. I'm actually reconsidering not to supercharge. From what i've heard from people a supercharger doesnt hurt the engine too much, and it seems like the easiest, least expensive way to increase hp. But if I do descide to go with a supercharger, what other stuff do I need? ex: special exhaust? also what kind of hp gains would i get from a supercharger and for how much?
thanks
Old 02-19-2002, 01:03 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

How much power you will get from a blower depends on whether you go with a roots style or centrifugal blower. Added to a bone stock motor, most roots blowers get you up to about 360 hp at the crank, while a good centrifugal will get you to around 400 hp but with less low end power. You don't need to get anything else to make them work if you get a complete kit, but every bolt-on that helps air flow will obviously help even more with forced induction.
Even without a power adder you would still have to void your warranty to get up to 320 hp. The following parts should get you close to 60 extra hp power naturally aspirated:
Crane re-grind cams
Full-length headers
Short H-pipe
Catback
Underdrive pulleys
Timing Adjuster
K&N
Throttle-body
Mass air meter
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote