MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-22-2002, 09:58 AM   #1
ttown
Registered Member

Default New 02 GT

Ok, guys got a quote from Ford with rebate of $22,400 with mach 460 sound system and leather seats.

1. Is the price about right?
2. Is the sonic blue a good color on this car
3. Had a 1987 and it made all the other looks sick, but have not run up against a new Camero SS or a 99 up mod. I've been in a truck since 97. I test drove one (with salesman) and it seemed ok but nothing special. I know my 87 with the timing set and vac sensors tick turn my 87 into a beast. But from what I am reading here no simple tick stuff works well. Is that right?

Thanks, I've owned 5 mustangs but been away awhile.
Buy the way it's a GT with 5 speed I'm considering. Is there another way
ttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:03 AM   #2
jbruno
Registered Member

I can only say that at CarsDirect.com I was quoted a price of 22,295 for an 02 premium GT. Also, I remember reading on this or another board that people were getting these for under 22,000. Of course geography and supply and demand could cause flucuation over time. I would go to carsdirect and see what it says for your area and then take this number back to the dealer and try to get him to come down. Good Luck.
jbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:15 AM   #3
ttown
Registered Member

Thanks, looks like about $200 from that target. That quote is with all Doc fess. Thats the drive away price, I don't think I'll be able to get the Sonic Blue much lower it's not on the dealers floor. Maybe the Yellow I could get them to come down some but that's to much yellow for me, I thought about putting a couple racing stripes down the middle. Any opions on the other 2 questions?
Old 05-22-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
wjfawb0
Registered Member

Default premium prices...

I bought a Sonic Blue Premium GT Coupe 5-speed about three weeks ago for $21,500 after rebate. The sticker with delivery was $25,015. I was able to get X-plan(4% higher than A-plan...about $23,000). Didn't get to haggle at all cause it was a huge dealership. One that moves Salenes and Cobras and even had a Cobra R on the showroom floor. Had about ten different Saleens in showroom. Few convertibles and one coupe with the super. It is Bill Collins Ford in Louisville KY...
Old 05-22-2002, 07:51 PM   #5
ttown
Registered Member

Ok slight change of plans, since they had a mineral gray on the lot I was able to get the premium package for 22,200 drive away. They also had the windows tinted a $279 retail. So not as good as I would like but a good bang for the buck. Now like in 87 I'll wait for the people to figure out the right setup. This board reminds me of when the fuel inj/roller cams in 86 came out every one was trashing them for the carb GT of 85.

After getting rid of the salesman i wraped it to 100mph and it feels like my 87 after the mods it comes on strong around 3k all the way up to ?, didn't want to wrap it to much shifted at 4.8k.

I can tell you my 87 had a lot more torque, but I had a hard time not breaking the wheel loose. Wish I had these 17" wheels on it unless you can put the power to the ground it takes a lot of hp to overcome wheel spin.

Think I'll be happy all my racing is over 100.....I drive 100 miles a day on the Xpressway, so this power band will do just fine.

Thanks

any thoughts or tips let me know
Old 05-22-2002, 08:25 PM   #6
wjfawb0
Registered Member

Default top speed?

I've only had my 2002 GT up to 115. Even with a Valentine1 radar detector I am not brave enough to press my luck. I drive my car from Chattanooga TN to Lexington KY about twice a month at night. About 300 miles and 4.25 hours each way. Anybody here maxed one out on a straight away?
Old 05-22-2002, 08:50 PM   #7
ttown
Registered Member

I used to go over 100 every week in mine, I live 35 miles outside the city and all nice new 4 lane with very few cops or places to hide and if you drive it every day you know where they sit. I did race a 87 vette with a chip when I first got mine one sunday a guy at work paid over 35 grand for it (I gave 13,200 for my Gt). I expected to get blown away after reading all the hot rod mags at the time but after keeping it pegged at the 6 o'clock pos. (4 oclock is 85 mph) I pulled 8 car links from him and walking (go figure, I felt bad for him). I know I had that car over 140 because I've drove fast cars all my life.

What I like about the 87 the faster you went the more it planted and was stable at high speeds. Unlike all my 60's hot rods you bounced and I was the one that wanted to be driving. I never was beat at a light in that car but I never really raced anything hot newer than the mid 90's car. By the time all the real hot GM's came out it was a second car. Everyone thinks I'm going through my 2nd childhood, but the people that know me well know I'll never grow out of speed. I never owned a car too fast, and I've had some low 12's cars.

One quick question on the new ones it looks like you'd want traction control off for the 1/4 mile stop light stuff, is that right?
Old 05-22-2002, 09:00 PM   #8
wjfawb0
Registered Member

Default traction control

I routinely turn off the traction control. It is more fun to drive, and it seems I can accelerate faster with it off. I can get a better launch with a little wheel slip than with the traction control on. The traction control seems to not only brake but also cut fuel to the engine to control wheel slip. Seems like I read that somewhere about engine control built into traction control. I bought my GT three weeks ago and now i have 2300 miles on it. It had 12 when I bought it.