MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 09:01 AM   #1
kcheu
Registered Member

Default hood scoop gt 2002

I have recently purchased a 2002 gt convertable with the hood scoop. Although i did get it for the looks , i am looking to begin power upgrades on it and am wondering if there is a cold air or ram air that i can put in it that would allow me to use the scoop as is. I do not want to change the style of the hood whatsoever just want the scoop to be functional with minimal hp gains. Also need info on what upgrades to look into for hp gains and in what order to do them.
kcheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:16 AM   #2
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Hey. Welcome to the forum! You'll get lots of good information here. There are functional ram air hoods for the 99+ Mustangs, unfortunately I am not sure if those kits work with the stock hood. I believe the ram air hoods have the scoops farther towards the front of the car, kinda looks like a nose. As for first mods: K&N filter, gears (you'll have to ask someone who has a GT but i think 3:73 or 4:10?), exhaust (cat-back, try to get stainless), or you can do what I did. Spent the money on the supercharger (cause I knew I would never do it if I didn't do it now ). Hope this helps a little!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:10 PM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

All depends on how far you want to go and how much cash you have in your wallet.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:35 PM   #4
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Hey check out the Classis Design Concepts "Shaker" ram air setup for the 99 and up GTs. You may like it. It uses the stock hood. You just cut a portion out to make room for the "shaker" piece. It really looks nice and its functional too.

www.classicdesignconcepts.com
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Good news: YES they do make a kit that opens the stock scoop and converts it to ram air. I remember seeing it in a MM/FF

Bad news: I can't remember which issue or who makes it Sorry

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 03:14 PM   #6
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Tireburner is probably talking about the June 2002 Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. Page 260 shows the installation of the Classic Design Concepts "Shaker" hood.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 07:03 PM   #7
MrMorden
Registered Member

Default Kar Kraft hood

The one to get if you want to keep the stock hood is made by Kar Kraft (www.karkraft.com). It uses a hole cut under the stock scoop with a vaccuum actuated door that opens at WOT. I think the kit costs about $450 if you use your hood.

Good Luck!
Kenny Brown subframes
Steeda Sport Springs
Bassani Cat X-Pipe & Catback
MrMorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:39 AM   #8
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

I checked with classic design concepts: you can get that shaker hood with tubing for supercharger applications . For example, I would be able to get one for my Vortech Cobra, but not until the end of summer .

What do you think guys, if I were to get that shaker hood, should I get that hood scoop to place over it (the one like the GT's have)? I think I saw that you can buy just the scoop somewhere and just bolt it on...?

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote