MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2002, 09:34 PM   #1
2000GT-5spd
Registered Member

Question X or H?

I have a 2000 GT with a 5-speed, mostly stock (for now). I want to install a set of BBK long tube headers to get some more power and torque. The car is a daily driver, so I'm more interested in low to mid range torque than top end power. BBK offers both an H pipe and an X pipe for use with the long tubes (both with Cats).

What is the performance difference between the H and X crossover pipes? Which one is best for my application? I've heard the X pipe gives a distinctive sound, which would be nice. For now I'll be running the stock exhaust behind the cats, until I see how loud the car is with the headers. I'd like to still be able to hear the radio

Jeff
Old 07-19-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
Torinalth
Registered Member

supposidly the X is more of a refined while the H is more primal.

as far as power, if my memory serves me then the X will do more HP while the H does more torque......

Torinalth
Old 07-22-2002, 08:11 AM   #3
apenn

I've had X-pipes done on my 2000 GT and they definitely sound different. I've got MagnFlow mufflers. From inside the car it sounds like the typical monster V8, but from outside they sound like nothing I'd ever heard before, especially once the gasses start to flow. From below about 2000 rpm's it sounds like a hopped up V8, but above 2000, heads start to turn because nobody knows what it is. From what I can tell the H-pipe give more of that "lumpy" V8 sounds, which I love. The X's have no lumps above 2000 rpm's. In one posting I saw someone mention that he thought the X's might sounds a little like rice (man did he take a beating from everyone). As someone with X's, I know where he was coming from though. I've had a few people say they have a "European" sounds (I've got know idea what that means). All my car crazy friends say my car sounds awsome and they love it (and all of them are muscle car guys). As an fyi, the Magnaflow mufflers are great, very quiet during normal and highway driving (just a hair louder than stock, and I actually think quieter at low rpms just cruising), but when I get on it they are plenty loud and sound great. I chose the X pipes over the H's because I have plenty of low end torque (I've got a Vortech SC), and I was told the X's give more upper end HP. Since they've been installed they did make a noticeable difference above 4000 rpm's with power. Anyways, sorry for the long response, good luck choosing!
Old 07-22-2002, 04:11 PM   #4
Sonics2042
Registered Member

I agree with apenn's statements.

H-Pipe = 60s muscle car
X-Pipe = not that loud until you stomp on it, then it sounds a high-pitch scream of mustang fury,.

X-pipe makes just a bit more power than the h-pipe. I got an x-pipe for my car because it really makes its power at 2500+ RPMS, so I thought this would compliment it.

Thanks,
DoranW
[MAC Cold Air Intake]-[BBK Equal Shorties]
[3.55 Gears]-[Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper and Lower]
[E-303 Cam]-[Granetelli Mass Air Flow Sensor]
[Front and rear sway bars]-[New black carpet and seats.]
[Adjustable Fuel Regulator]-[T5 Conversion w/ K. Cobra Clutch/Hurst STS]
[Cobra Throttle Body]-[130A Alt. Conversion]

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:44 AM   #5
jax702
Registered Member

Default x-h pipe

I just ordered some long tubes for my cobra and I went with a Dr. Gas x crossover. My friend has the same set up and I heard it before and after he took the cats off. Just so you know Im going no cats...I cant believe it, when he hits the gas it sounds like he has 500 horses under the hood. His previous setup had an h-pipe and it sounded good but no where near as nasty as the x. I think it makes a lil bit more power on the top too
1997 Cobra #3803 WMS cold air intake, 87 Pro M, Autologic chip, BBK twin 62 throttle body, BBK pulleys, Fluidyne radiator, trunk mounted battery....
jax702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:36 AM   #6
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

My combo reminds me of a NASCAR type of sound...at full throttle.

Bassani and Magnaflow...AWESOME!
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 07:28 AM   #7
blackfang
Registered Member

H= low end torque, and big block rumble.
X= top end HP, sounds like an italian sportscar.

I am getting an O/R H pipe because i have cutouts on the backside of my flowmasters. I am gonna need as much totque as i can get being i am dumping the cats.

2000 Z/28
Ram Air, EGR mod, Lid w/K&N, Flowtech cutout
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote