MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-07-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
97 Stang
Registered Member

Default ease of installation

I'm pretty sure that I want to get the Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back for my car. Two questions though. Can I do the installation with a jack and hand tools or is welding and stuff involved? Also, anybody know of the cheapest place I can get them from off the internet? thanks for the help
BBK H-pipe
4.10 gears
97 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 03:14 AM   #2
Titan
Registered Member

No, you have to weld...all they did w/ mine was cut the stock pipe just before and after the muffler, then slid on the flows...then you have to weld the pipes together. Look for kits, probably something like summit racing. Flowmaster makes a mustang kit that should fit nice (although you do have to weld so there is no exhaust leak).

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 08:48 AM   #3
97 Stang
Registered Member

Are you talking about just the mufflers or the whole catback system?
BBK H-pipe
4.10 gears
97 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 10:39 AM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

I got the whole flowmaster 2-chamber kit plus MAc h-pipe about 2 years ago. I did NOT weld ANY of it. I have had no leaks. If you weld it and then need to work on transmission or replace the clutch or any thing up under there you have to brake the weld to remove the pipes and you have a very good chance of ruining the pipes. I did mine with a jack and two jack stands and some wrenches.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:48 AM   #5
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

A few weeks ago I got mac off road H pipe and a couple of flowmasters and I had it done because of the welding, I think most people weld them.

See Ya,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:02 AM   #6
surfbeast
Registered Member

If you get the cat back kit there is no welding required. The kits just bolt on from the stock H pipe. Four bolts is all that need to be fooled with and they are usually a *****. If your kit comes with the mufflers detached then you can use the clamps, check to see "IF" you have leaks, if so a muffler shop will weld them for 20 bucks. Flows sound great and add a X/H pipe and you are as close to being obnoxsiously loud as you can be without being a redneck.