MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2003, 12:37 AM   #1
Stang67
Registered Member

Default Opinions of Modular Mustangs

I was wondering what some opinions of the modular motors are. I am thinking about trading my 95 Cobra in for a 99 and up GT or 01 Cobra. I have grown up working on the pushrod engines and am interested in trying to build an OHC car. My one worry is that i want to build a car that can go 10's in the 1/4 on ET Streets while retaining smog certification (Dam Calif !). Is this a reasonable plan for these cars, or is it unrealistic, here is the cobination i thought would work after the usual bolt ons:

S-Trim W/12-15 PSI
Ported Bullet intake
Ported Heads
Custom Chip
Tublar K Member & A-Arms w/ Coil overs
w/ 4.10's

I am thinking of one of the competition Tremecs for the tranny with 33 Spline Axles and a Locker

Thank you for any infomation you can give, it will be greatly appreciated

Steve
Stang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:01 AM   #2
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Your going to need forged internals to be able to push that kind of boost, beat on the car and have it last any length of time. Also based on your combo on a GT your looking at mid to low 11's but 10's are going to be tough to break. If you went with a Cobra then you have to deal with the IRS and the same forged internal issue but 10s wouldn't be as tough.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
Stang67
Registered Member

Stang 92-

I forgot to mention that i had also been looking at a stroker kit that is made by livernois for the modulars that takes the displacment out too 359, after they resleeve it to get a 3.700 bore. Have you heard anything about this? I have seen pictures of the block after its been bored out, but i thought it may have been too close to be making 625-650 horespower? Thanks for the info

Steve

PS. Dose anyone know some good shops around the central coast and LA Basin that are good with doing tunes for the computer?
Old 04-27-2003, 08:16 PM   #4
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Well, Bill has already spoken the truth on the real limitations on the modulars. Internals with 10+ lbs of boost and of course some tuning.
As for the boosting with a stroker kit, haven't seen it yet. As for hp #s it's up in the air. Would make for a great 1/4 track project.

As for good shops, there are a few that could help.

SWANSON, CHICANE and GRC.

Maybe some other So Calers can chime in with experiences.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Stang67
Registered Member

Is it possible to put Cobra Top end on a GT Shortblock? or is it a matter of changing out the whole engine. The stroker crank would take a stock engine out to 330.4 cubes, i don't think i would have them bore it, it just dosn't seem like theres not enough material left to take that much power. Also Procharger P-1SC VS Vortec S-Trim, its seems like the Procharger could put more air into the engine than the S-Trim, any opinions? Thanks for the info guys

Steven
Old 04-27-2003, 09:47 PM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
Is it possible to put Cobra Top end on a GT Shortblock?
I don't think it's possible...

Quote:
Procharger P-1SC VS Vortec S-Trim
Procharger all the way my friend...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:45 AM   #7
The Deuce
Registered Member

Here's your answer. Get an '01 Cobra, ask Dark 5.0 how to stop the axle hop, and run some boost. Check out this thread, I think you'll like the power....

http://socalhorsepower.com/forum/sho...&threadid=1220

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:13 PM   #8
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Actually you can put 4v top end on a GT block but it's not a simple swap. What I mean is that you need much more parts to make it work. You would also have to change pistons our your compression will fall too much, cobra crank would be needed because the GT will not rev to 7K, timing chains, covers, injectors, MAF, wiring, block off the knock sensor, chip and custom tune... In other words it's easier to just buy a 4v motor in the first place and build it up.

Bill
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:05 PM   #9
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang92
Actually you can put 4v top end on a GT block but it's not a simple swap. What I mean is that you need much more parts to make it work. You would also have to change pistons our your compression will fall too much, cobra crank would be needed because the GT will not rev to 7K, timing chains, covers, injectors, MAF, wiring, block off the knock sensor, chip and custom tune... In other words it's easier to just buy a 4v motor in the first place and build it up.

Bill
Yeah, what he wrote.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote