MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Mustang newbie need help

Hi guys,this is my first thread,so i'll start off by intoducing myself.My name is Danijel,I live in florida,and used to own a 95 240sx,it's an awesome car with great handling,anyway i spent alot of money on the cars performance,but i felt the need for more power,so instead of doing an engine swap i just bought a car i always had a crush on,a 2000 mustang gt.
I love the car,very surprised by how different it actually is from what riceboys have told me about v8's.
Well i have a few questions,i'm kinda confused by the exhaust system of the mustang.On my old car i bought a new header,and a cat back exhaust,and that was it for that department,but with the mustang it's,H-pipe,X-pipe,long tubes,short tubes,flowmaster mufflers,and all kinds of stuff.What do i actually need?
There's no emissions testing here in florida so i prefer off road parts.Anyway,what do you guys suggest for a guy who wants performance and the popular v8 sound.Also how hard is it to install.I looked under the car and it looks like the pipes go above the rear axle or something.

Thatks to all of you who took the time to read my whole thread.

EDIT:Also the previous owner lowered the car,is that gonna be a problem?
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Headers are a PITA to work with on the modular stangs, plus unless you're heavily modded, HP per buck is pretty low.

Since you're in a emissions free area, I'd go with an off-road X-Pipe with a set of Dallas Mustang MIL Eliminators.

Finish it off with a Dynomax or MAC cat-back system.

A lowered car shouldn't be a problem unless you go with long-tube headers at a later date....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:40 PM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Thanks for the info.Does it matter what x-pipe i go with or are all the manufacturers good?Also what diameter piping should i go with for a simple bolt on without any special modifications?
Old 04-27-2003, 10:47 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
Does it matter what x-pipe i go with?
Can't go wrong with Bassani...

Quote:
Also what diameter piping should i go with for a simple bolt on without any special modifications?
Most manufacturers only have one diameter per model (Fox, SN-95, 99+)

In your case, it seems most manufacturers are going with 2 1/2 inch pipes....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
V8Mustang
Registered Member

Congrats on the purchase! If you want a deeper exhaust sound, try an h pipe and if you want a slightly raspy sound go w/ the x. Either one will give you more sound and performance. A cat back will add an even bigger improvement. You will really like the additional sound and power!
Old 04-28-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
93GTDIN
Registered Member

just out of curiosity, what do riceboys tell you about V8's? Let me guess, they run out of steam after 3500? Top out at 115 mph? get 7 mpg?

tell us child, what lies have these fools been telling you?
Old 04-28-2003, 03:46 PM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 93GTDIN
just out of curiosity, what do riceboys tell you about V8's? Let me guess, they run out of steam after 3500? Top out at 115 mph? get 7 mpg?

tell us child, what lies have these fools been telling you?
LOL, Ya, that's what I wanted to know too!! I would guess they say the car drives real well in a straight line, but doesn't corner so well.

Please share!

BTW, go with an offroad 2-1/2" X/H-pipe. Bassini is good, MAC is good. Cat-backs are all personal preference. I like Dynomax or MAC too. The cat back is routed above the rear axle. You should be able to use the stock exhaust mounts. The H/X pipe should be straight forward. The Catback, is pretty easy too, you'll just might have to play with it a little bit more.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:36 PM   #8
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Yeah pretty much that v8's steer like a tank,and i'd have to refuel a few times a week,and you can forget about a circuit race,only straight lines,all of which i've found out to be wrong.I love the mustang,too bad i don't have any riceboys lining up to me at stop lights or anywhere,now it's always corvettes and other v8's.

Although i did notice one thing,in first gear after around 3500 rpm it seemed like i started loosing power,but i'm sure once i get the car breathing alittle better it'll fix that problem.

I've read all of your replies and have a good idea of what to buy,i'll browse around to see how much those cost.I already ordered a steeda tri-ax short shifter because it made a HUGE difference in my 240sx.

How bout intakes,which one makes the most power for the money,the k&n FIPK seems alright but i need opinions.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Here's another one for you guys.If i buy the mac off road x-pipe,will i have to buy anything else for the exhaust or will it be a direct bolt on?
Old 04-28-2003, 06:44 PM   #10
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The X-pipe is a very easy bolt-on - 8 fasteners and 2 O2 sensors to undo. All you will need to go with it is MIL eliminators like Hammer mentioned to keep the 'Check Engine' light from coming on without the cats.
As far as the intake tract, a new MAF gets the most gain and generally does not work with cold air kits as having a bend before the MAF sometimes causes problems. Also, cold air kits on the mod motors really don't add any noticeable power like they claim.
I'd just go with a new mass air meter and a K&N. A throttle body does very little either until you get a blower or free up the exhaust and the rest of the intake.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:54 PM   #11
95mustanggt
Registered Member

If you mean INTAKES, then the bullet intake really shines in blown applications (from what I have read). The 4.6L needs lots of air!

If you mean INTAKES as in COLD AIR INDUCTION KITS, then you might consider just a K&N drop in. I have the Roush CAI (thanks Hammer ) and it seems to be doing really well.

As far as some of the "myths" about V8's. There was an article a couple years ago that put a stock GT against the Integra Type R. Guess who won? The GT. They fixed the track so that it was VERY tight and only then did the Type R come out on top, BARELY. Never mistake an old muscle car STOCK suspension for a new V8 car design V8's have come aways...

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:09 PM   #12
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

welcome aboard the first thing you should do is go over to
http://www.ricehatersclub.com
and become a member now for the mods
first get rid of the god horrible shifter ford has provided us. to make use of the power we already have switch rear gears to at least 3:73 it will feel like you added 30 horse power. next underdrive pulleys,all will work good but buy steeda so you can add a timing adjuster later,cai,ibetter plugs try ngk or autolight stay far away from the bosche plugs stangs don`t like them fro some reason. as for exhaust i like flowmaster exhaust myself
and work from there as for the pipe get a bassani they seem to get the best reviews.and don`t forget the mill eliminators unless you have a fetish for check engine lights.
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:17 PM   #13
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Lol,no i don't have a fetish for check engine lights.Anyway,like i said i already ordered a tri-ax shifter,and the previous owner sais he already installed 3.75 gears.

BTW.When you open the shifter boot,does it have some kind of boxs next to the shifter?I opened mine today,to see how to do it later on,and it had a small box labeled "SPEEDOMETER CALIBRATOR" or something like that.What is it?
Old 04-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #14
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

no that box is for the rear gears 99 and newer uses calibrators for setting them up no plastic gears are needed
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:37 PM   #15
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

No what?You lost me there.The cable to the box comes right out of the leather shift boot underneath the big shift boot that you can always see.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:21 AM   #16
V8Mustang
Registered Member

That box is a speedo recalibrator used to correct your speedo after gears have been installed in the rear (3.73s right?). The 99 - up cars have electronic speedos and require an electronic interface to correct the reading once aftermarket gears have been installed. Older cars used a simple plastic gear inside the trans to recal the speedo.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:37 PM   #17
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Oh,gotcha.BTW.How exactly do gears affect my driving?
Old 04-29-2003, 08:48 PM   #18
V8Mustang
Registered Member

Not really sure what you mean by how they will affect your driving. You will enjoy driving a lot more! The engine will rev a little higher than before (or a lot, depending on gear choice) at the same speed in the same gear. So at 60 mph now, you may be turning 2,100 rpm and w/ 3.73s you may turn 2,400 rpm. It is like a 10 spd bike, you can accelerate quicker from a stop in say 3rd gear than starting out in 8th. At the same road speed, your legs will turn faster in 3rd than 8th.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:25 PM   #19
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

That's exactly what i meant,and i also figured that was what the gears did,just weren't sure.