MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-17-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
OZ98Cobra
Registered Member

Default KYB AGX performance

I have recently installed a set of KYB AGXs on my 98 Cobra. I figured that they would be more versatile than non-adjustables on what is essentially a daily driver (on bumpy Dallas roads) that also hits the track about twice a year and takes the "scenic route" whenever possible.

These AGXs are at the cheaper end of the scale as far as adjustable shocks go, however, they appear to be well put together. The adjustment changes both compression and rebound damping simultaneously.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be valved right at all, especially the rears? When set to low (soft) settings like 1,2 or 3 (the rears are 8-way adjustable) it bounces all over the show and rides worse than the worn out stock shocks - it feels like there is not anywhere near enough rebound damping to control the springs. If you crank them up to 4 or 5 to get enough rebound damping to control the bounce, then the compression side is way to hard for daily driving - any harder than that and they are clearly over damped and it skips over rough surfaces badly. The fronts don't seem too bad, but it is a bit hard to tell for sure with the backs so wacky.

I would like to know if anyone else has had experience with these AGXs, and if so, did you get them to work right, or have others found them to be inadequate as well? I have searched the forums and haven't found a whole lot on them which I guess could mean that either no one uses 'em or those that do don't talk about 'em?

For info, the springs are Motorsport B's (not keen to go any harder on Dallas' teeth rattlin' streets) and the rest of the rear suspension is stock but in great shape - the car has only done 40,000.

Finally, Tokico Illuminas also adjust both compression and rebound at the same time - do they suffer the same problem or have Tokico done a better job of getting the valving right for the Mustang?

Daron
A Falcon that's better than a Mustang?
A 4 door that's better than a 2 door?
Only if it's an FPV!
OZ98Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

Not sure about the shocks, sorry. BUT I want one of those FPV'S, or at least the engine, in my GT!
Old 06-18-2003, 04:45 AM   #3
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

My Rancho RS9000 were the same way on my truck.
You might want to try this link:
http://reviews.stangnet.com/Suspension/
They might have what you are looking for.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:14 AM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

My 5-way adjustable Tokicos seem to be well valved for the springs that I have on my Stang. My fronts are 350 lb/in coilovers and the ride is not bouncy, but it's not harsh either.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:22 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

You might want to try them with a set of eibach springs....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:58 PM   #6
OZ98Cobra
Registered Member

Dont think these KYBs would work any better with Eibachs - I did try them with the stock springs (165-265) and they are still not right with those. Eibach Prokit rear spring rates are 200-250 compared to 200-300 on the Motorsport springs that I am running.

The whole advantage of adjustable shocks is to be able to match the shock settings to the springs - I am very happy with the Motorsport spring rates, so selecting springs to match the shocks completely defeats the purpose.

The ultimate adjustable is of course a double adjustable like the Koni Yellow Double Adjustable, but of course are more than double the price of the AGXs. Any shock that adjusts both compression and damping with a single adjustment is always going to be a compromise that can only work if the manufacturer gets the valving right. Maybe Tokico did and KYB didn't?
Only if it's an FPV!
Old 06-19-2003, 08:21 AM   #7
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Sorry, thought you were still running the stockers.

You're correct, with spring rates that comparable, I don't see how there can be any change in performance.
(Just a suggestion to try to save you some money)

To be honest I've never heard of those issues with the AGXs before...

Looks like you may have to go with the Konis...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:32 PM   #8
OZ98Cobra
Registered Member

After spending a day on the track at Hallett Raceway near Tulsa, OK, I finally have something positive to say about these shocks! They work somewhat better on the track than they do on the road.

I tried several settings and eventually settled on 3 (from 4) front and 5 (from 8) rear. These were minimums to get enough rebound damping for race track conditions. They were by no means ideal because at these settings, there was still too much compression damping than necessary. At Hallett, this wasn't a big problem, but on bumpier tracks it may be an issue. Sessions were about 15 minutes long and the shocks did not fade in that time and did not appear to be overly hot at the end of a session.

So after using these shocks on city streets, country roads, highways and road racing circuit, I could not recommend them for use in a Cobra, especially if you have changed your springs as well. They might just be acceptable with standard springs on a V6 or GT, but otherwise, if you are looking for decent ride quality with firmer spring rates, you could do better than these.

Now if KYB were to revise their valving, especially in the rears, then it might be a whole different story?
Only if it's an FPV!