MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-09-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Engine shuts off.

It happened 3 times already.When i'm driving,and pulling up to a light,i press the clutch,and brake,and by the time i reach the light and come to a complete stop,the engine would just shut off.There is no stalling,but i had the clutch pressed every time,so there can't be stalling i guess.Anyway the radio and everything else keeps working without interruption,but the engine is not running.I have to turn the car on again to keep driving.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #2
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

more than likeley a fuel pump or bad iac valve
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

It is a known problem with newer Stangs...it's even happening with the 03 Cobras. Try searching the corral to see what others have done to remedy the problem.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:20 PM   #4
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

What's the corral?

And Badass_yellowGT why do you think it's one of those 2 things?
Old 07-10-2003, 05:23 PM   #5
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

www.corral.net
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #6
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Thanks man i'll take a look.I'm sure i can find other info on there too,thanks for the link.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:59 PM   #7
surfbeast
Registered Member

A few posts back I was having the same "mystery" problem. Car would just "shut off" for no apparent reason. I checked every single ground and unplugged and replugged every electrical connection. Cleaned the MAF sensor, etc.., etc.. Now no problems. The ford mechs I know said if the engine light does not come on than it is not a sensor or computer problem. If you can idel and rev in park with no problems it's not the fuel pump. If you have a K&N first thing to do is clean the MAF sensor.

Good Luck!
Old 07-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

The engine light is always on because of the off road x pipe,but it did that before i got the x pipe.Also i can idle and rev all day long,no problems at all,so i'm glad it's most probably not the fuel pump.I don't have the k&n,but i removed the silencer on the stock airbox,i don't think that had anything to do with it though.I'll chack the maf sensor as soon as i can.Problem is i can never tell if i fixed the problem or not,because it has only happened 3 times so far.

Here's another thing though.I was driving with the a/c on for an hour or so,and my car shut off,so alittle later i had a friend in my car,and i tried something.I turned the a/c off,and on like 3 times in a row,and the engine shut off again.It was the same kind of shutting off like when i normally drive.But it can't be the a/c because the engine shut off 1 time without me even using the a/c for days.I live in florida,and it's hot.But i still never use it.I don't know why,but i just drive without it.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:31 PM   #9
playahata
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaegermeister2k
Here's another thing though.I was driving with the a/c on for an hour or so,and my car shut off,so alittle later i had a friend in my car,and i tried something.I turned the a/c off,and on like 3 times in a row,and the engine shut off again.It was the same kind of shutting off like when i normally drive.But it can't be the a/c because the engine shut off 1 time without me even using the a/c for days.I live in florida,and it's hot.But i still never use it.I don't know why,but i just drive without it.
That sounds like a accuum issue. Check all all your lines and look for any cracks or loose connections.
Lazer Red '98 GT with flows, 3.73's, clear corners, bumper inserts, billet interior, K&N, 17x8 Steeda Ultralites wrapped in Nitto 555's and DR's, Eibach Sportlines, painted calipers, steeda triax , MGW shift knob, 9mm Taylor plug wires, 90mm Lightning mass-air meter, ported FRPP heads, Crane cam regrinds, FRPP intake, FRPP aluminum driveshaft Mac longtubes/off-road H, .20-over bottom end, Vortech S-trim, MSD Dis4
playahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #10
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

when you push in the clutch the engine will try to return to idle. some mustangs almost seem like they are about to stall mine included it is the iac that returns the idle to the factory spec sometimes you can get a glitch and the valve does not open and the engine will stall.
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 05:28 AM   #11
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Hey what os the IAC?And how could i fix it?
Old 07-13-2003, 04:39 PM   #12
fugax
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my 2000 GT. I could reproduce the problem with turning the a/c on and off...I had my IAC changed twice and my fuel pump once. Long story short...I went through Ford's "problem solving", which was useless. Really I shouldn't blame Ford as much as their dealer's. I had had enough so I filed for the Lemon Law. It was really a piece of cake and I got a new 2001 at no charge. This one works fine and hasn't stalled on my at all. Bottom line, keep your records and once you hit 3 attempts to fix the problem (which they probably won't), file for the Lemon Law and get a new one that works. I am in Florida and if you ever want to talk to me about your problem and how to go about making things right...I will be happy to give you my number.
fugax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:03 PM   #13
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

But i really don't want to get rid of this car,i've done quite a few changes to it,which would take me forever to reverse.I checked my lines and loose connections and everything,nothing seems wrong.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #14
fugax
Registered Member

I understand. The only thing is that if it really is a manufacturers issue, then they should take care of it. What I see now is them blaming you for the stalling issue. They tried that crap with me, but I hadn't done anything to my car. Wouldn't you rather have a stang that works correctly? Maybe it's just my personality, but if I am paying for something...it better work!
fugax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:40 PM   #15
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Well it hasn't become a problem yet,and sooner or later i'll figure out how to fix it.