MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
treedstang
Registered Member

Post What's possible on a 98GT with 94k miles?

I'm looking for some input from you guys on possible mods for my 98gt.

I've racked up 94k miles my car and still runs like a champ. it doesn't leak or burn oil or nothing.

I'm still riding around with my factory clutch and sparkplugs imagine that I'm going to replace that soon recommendations on type of clutch and plugs please..

I was thinking of possibly adding 3.73's. I see some of your guys talking about swaping heads cams is that possible for me even with the high miles.

Basically what can I do to a 94k mile gt that won't require me rebuild the engine and still
enjoy the extra ponys?

any input will be helpful

Tim
treedstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 01:32 AM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by treedstang
Basically what can I do to a 94k mile gt that won't require me rebuild the engine and still
enjoy the extra ponys?
Supercharger. Just bolt on and go. Look into it. Say, procharger, powerdyne, or vortech. 6-9 lbs boost will do great! But around $2-3 grand... ...depending... You can also do a Cam/Intake/Heads mod....

Practically speaking (once again, depending on how much you want to spend....) I'd leave in the stock clutch for now and stick with the stock plugs (those always seem to work the best on a N/A motor, IMO). Interms of mods, man, I like everyone else can tell you, it all depends on how fast you really wanna go and much you can spend to get you there .

Here's a few safe, relatively cheap, and easy to install mods (a very good starting point):

1) Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
2) FRPP Aluminum driveshaft
3) Aftermarket mufflers
4) 3.73s (I'd suggest these if that is your only car and daily driver. I wouldn't mess with 4.10s at this point...)
5) MAC Cold Air Intake with K&N air filter

These "mods" won't necessarily add gobs of horses, but they will sure allow the car to use the hp you have a LOT more efficiently.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:43 AM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

BTW, you have plenty more miles to rack up on the ol' 4.6...My Crown Vic is pushing 140,000 with constant "balls to the wall" throttle action...it still purrs like a kitten.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
AutoX281
Registered Member

Default 117k miles!

My 98's just gone over 117k miles and it's starting to show wear for autocrossing and long trips between northern and southern calif.

If you plan to add more power, don't forget to make sure that power can get to the wheels. All new bushings, strut tower brace, subframes (especially on a convertible), and possibly shocks.

Mine's been great up until about 2 weeks ago when it all started to go... bushings started creeking real bad, alternator gave out, leaking coolant out the thermostat housing...

enjoy...
98 GT Conv, #81 FS, #18 FSL, current autox-er
84 9W SVO, #??? not ready yet.. future autox-er
AutoX281 is offline   Reply With Quote