MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
SmokinStangGT
Registered Member

Smile 4.6 mods

hey guys my girlfriend just got a '03 GT Black with chrome rims and black leather.... man it is sweet but any way i put on the American thnder series flowmaster Cat-back system with the 3 1/2 inch tubing and a k&n filter and that is about it... i am going to put on a cold air kit with a throttle body, but after that i need some ideas.... i can mess with the car too much becuase she dosent want to void too many warrentys.... i was thinking maybe some pullys and a bullit intake would be good. any ideas? -Thanks
89' GT with 5spd Hurst short throw, Keith Black 12:1 comp. pistons, Sealed Power drag racing rings, Fms F303 Cam, Ported and polished upper and lower intake with Ported E7TE heads that contain comp. cam double coiled springs with titainum locks and steel retainers, Fel-Pro Head Gaskets, 9mm ford racing wires, BBK chrome unequal shortys, Power Throttle bodies 70mm, Edlebrock 70mm EGR plate, 15inch K&N, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Eibach 1 1/2 lowering springs, Cobra R rims 17X9 with p235 on front and p275 on rear with Falken Zeix tires-RUNNING!
SmokinStangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:27 AM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

Dont waste the money on the T/B and Cold air. They may look pretty but do nothing for HP gains. A good K&N in the filter box will do just as good. If all you want is a nice look than go for it, just don't expect any HP gains. Put in a set of 3:73 gears and a set of pullies. Warrenties are only voided if the MOD can be Proven to have caused the failure of the parts being repaired. That is a LAW in most states so don't let the dealer screw you around.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
nbolmer
Registered Member

Default Exhaust

I'd finish off your exhaust before moving on. The K&N FIPK cold air intake is pretty reasonably priced and performs better than about anything out there. Don't expect HP gains much above the factory air box with a K&N, but it cleans up the engine compartment and makes the filter really easy to remove and clean. The FIPK dynos just a hair better, a couple few HP better than the stock airbox with a K&N-- about what it feels like to turn the A/C off.

With your car getting a charge of fresh air, finish that exhaust with an X-pipe coupled with high-flow cats (to keep it street legal, and the environment clean!). Typical cost + install = 600ish. If you have more to burn, do the header while they are down there. A complete exhaust system from header to tip can net you some real HP gains. Find a reputable local custom exhaust shop or mustang speed shop for the best prices and work. Do not use a McExhaust place. Go for 2.5 inch unless you are planning on installing nitrous or a supercharger soon. That 3.5 inch system is doing more harm than good... an excerpt from Holley's website

"Bigger generally is not better when it comes to street driven cars. when you put too large of a header or exhaust on a street driven vehicle, you usually notice a severe drop in low to mid-range performance due to a lack of backpressure. To combat this issue, Hooker sometimes builds 3 or 4 different headers for a particular application with varying tube and collector sizes. "

For a street driven stang, 3.5 inch is an inch too big.

More money to burn? Gears are good, a bigger MAF sensor can add some real HP. Underdrive pulleys are a hit and miss situation- they give you more HP, but less power to drive accesories like your cooling system. Remember that if you live in a very hot climate.
nbolmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:36 AM   #4
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

As stated above...gears + shifter should be the first mod, C&L above any "intake" mod, and underdrives. (you won't have any problems with the underdrives unless your planning to use race ratios)

The exhaust your talking about is fine, I assume you meant 3.5 exhaust tips...

Have fun...
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:23 PM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I guess my first question would be why does your girlfriend have the '03 and you have the '89? My second question is "Does she have a sister?" OK, just a little humor. Now on to serious stuff.

Worried about warrenties, don't mess with pullys or injectors unless you have a real good relationship with the service manager or your girlfriend wears a very low-cut top when taking the car in. I think you are asking for trouble. I have been working with a high-performance Mustang shop and they are officially recommending no pulleys or injectors if you are worried about warrenties.

Want 30hp more at the wheels and have $700 buring a hole in your pocket? Simple. Add the new C&L Plenum and a 75 mm TB (check to be sure that this is the size for the '03). This will give you 20 hp at the wheels (dyno proven). Then, add C&L Cold Air Kit for another 10 HP.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:23 PM   #6
96_4.6
Registered Member

For the 96-98 gt's is it even worth adding a bigger TB? I have the 80mm MAF from C&L with the true flow intake pipe I wanna change the TB when I get the new Plenum but its said to decrease hp with a S\C but i like adding bolt-ons, grrr

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:20 PM   #7
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Good question. since I am not familiar with your model year, I would recomend that you contact an expert. Try this link http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/

Call them and ask for Shawn or send him an email. I think you will find the answer. I can say that with the 2000 GT, everyone had been only recomending the 70 mm TB until this new plenum became available and they are now saying to go for the 75 mm. I think you will see a lot of 70 mm TB on the used market for sale in the next few months.

As far as the 80 mm TB is concerned or larger, I just don't know. Let me know what you find out.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:52 PM   #8
Torinalth
Registered Member

well, lets look at it this way... where does she want to end up? does she want to end up with a 400 HP vette killer? or just something to keep up with a camaro? or is it just wanting a lil more pep?

kenne bell supposivly claims that putting on their blower for the 2v engine will not void any warranties.... they listed a ton of reasons and documentation (www.kennebell.net for more info) so i tend to believe them, but i'm not worried about a warranty as i take care of everything on my own anyhow... but the kenne bell blower is fast responding and can do anything from 300 to the floor to 460 to the floor...

if she just wants a lil pep then pullies, long tube headers, x pipe, and maybe get a dyno tune with a custome burned chip... maybe add a nitrous kit for the "must go faster" occasions.

Torinalth