MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-15-2003, 03:04 AM   #1
Shawnlh
Registered Member

Question 1998 4.6L, how many miles can it handle??

I have found a 1998 GT with 215,000 km. (or 130,000 miles) I don't know much about these modular engines, but, is there much life left in this thing. I was told they are mostly highway miles. The rest of the car looks clean, but I'm worried about the high milage. What to do??
Shawnlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:57 AM   #2
Rusty12
Registered Member

Well; obviously there is no "right answer". Given the ready availability of hundreds; even thousands of 1998 Mustangs up for sale across the country at any given moment...there would seem to be no pressing need for you to buy **that one**.

So; other things should enter into your equation. Overall; does the car please you? Is it's outward condition (the stuff you can see) pleasing? Do you like the color? Is it optioned as your "dream Mustang? Does it excite the hell out of you when you drive it? Is it truly unusual or special in ways that mean a lot to you?

As for the life left in it...there could be lots. Most any modern engine should last 200k miles if it was assembled correctly and was given average or better maintenance. Of course, that's a couple of BIG ifs. And, thats the main block that we're talking about...not necessarily the heads and certainly not the peripherals.

On the other side though...you could find a low mileage example and pay a hefty premium for it...and it could throw a rod tomorrow.

One way to lok at it...how much money could you save on this car compared to a low mileage one. Don't forget that just a simple valve job or tranny overhaul can erode a lot of that savings pretty quick.

So, to summarize...are you in love with this car? How good a deal can you get (I'd say that your budget shoud have at least 3 grand left over for "insurance" against major repairs down the road...) And; how much of a gambler are you?

If it were me...If I could buy a similiar car with a lot less miles and with evidence of average or better maintenance for; say...3 thousand $$ more than your hi-miler...I'd buy the low mileage one...

Come-on other posters...lets give this guy some more feedback...I'd bet most everyone here was in his shoes at one time or another...I know how it feels!

Rusty12
Rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 04:30 PM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Rusty covered pretty much everything.
I know some guys with 200K+ miles who still hit the drag strip a couple times a month and their engine doesn't use any oil at all. But most of those guys have owned the car for a good portion of its life, and have taken extremely good care of it, as they should.
But then there are other guys who buy cars that weren't taken car of, and at 85K miles they need the valve stem seals replaced.
My rule of thumb is usually to buy the lowest mileage example that I can afford.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
GTvert
Registered Member

These guys covered just about everything.130,000 isn't bad mileage if it's taken care of. Test drive a couple others and see how it compares in ride and performance.