MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-06-2004, 03:33 AM   #1
VenimosChameleon
Registered Member

Exclamation A Loud Exhaust

Hey ya'll, I'm the newest member to the mustang message board, and I thought I'd start it out with a good question. Does anyone know a good exaughst system to put on a 98 gt Mustang. Whoever had the car before me put 2 chamber flo masters on it, and dont get me wrong it sounds nice, but I heard this mustang today and the god dang thing blew my socks off. Any one try a one chamber and if so did u like the sound, and would people recommend an h-pipe, or an x-pipe. Thanks a lot, appreciate it!

Future Mods: Clear Lights all around, Boss Spoiler, ABC Front Bumper, a new loud exhaust system, Tint them windows
VenimosChameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:35 AM   #2
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Those of us who aren't in love with flowmasters are definately a minority. I've heard a few nice sounding ones also but I was always out of my car and they were flying by so I've never had the chance to ask what they were packing. ha
I finally made my decision after speaking to the Bassini people last night. I'm just getting the Bassani mufflers only, not the whole cat back system for $$ and warranty reasons. My Ford people tell me a cat back system will void my warranty even though the Bassani web site says otherwise. The mufflers only run 99$ each for aluminum with 18 mo. warranty and $200 each for stainless and a lifetime warranty.

I thought long and hard about the SLP system but decided I'd rather hear my radio and also concerned about the warranty issue there too.

So what does anybody out there think? Should I go with Aluminum or Stainless. Of course money is an issue, but I figure if you're going to do something, do it right. Do you think the aluminums will rust?
stacy's stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stacy's stang
Those of us who aren't in love with flowmasters are definately a minority. I've heard a few nice sounding ones also but I was always out of my car and they were flying by so I've never had the chance to ask what they were packing. ha
I finally made my decision after speaking to the Bassini people last night. I'm just getting the Bassani mufflers only, not the whole cat back system for $$ and warranty reasons. My Ford people tell me a cat back system will void my warranty even though the Bassani web site says otherwise. The mufflers only run 99$ each for aluminum with 18 mo. warranty and $200 each for stainless and a lifetime warranty.

I thought long and hard about the SLP system but decided I'd rather hear my radio and also concerned about the warranty issue there too.

So what does anybody out there think? Should I go with Aluminum or Stainless. Of course money is an issue, but I figure if you're going to do something, do it right. Do you think the

aluminums will rust?

Just so you know a cat back will not void your warranty if that dealer is saying it will find a new one cause they are full of it

as exhaust I have the mac prochamber and dumped magnaflow muffs and I love they way it sounds

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

Any X or H pipe is great. Some are better quality but they all perform the same function. Just pick your price range. As far as mufflers go there are lots of sites that have the muffler sound clips so you can listen and take your pick. There is a stang in my area I would love to run down and find out what set up he is running. It sound incredible! As far as the aluminum muffs rusting, no they wont rust but aluminized metal is not as strong as the SS and I don't believe it can be welded like the SS can. Pay extra and get the SS, you get what you pay for!
Old 01-06-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
VenimosChameleon
Registered Member

Well I've just listened to Magnaflow mufflers and I have to say that I agree with going with that and then getting the mac pro chamber. But how do I know which magnaflow muffler to chose from?? THanks for your help

Future Mods: Clear Lights all around, Boss Spoiler, ABC Front Bumper, a new loud exhaust system, Tint them windows

Last edited by VenimosChameleon; 01-06-2004 at 04:26 PM..
VenimosChameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
TARZAN
Registered Member

I've got one chambers on my car right now, but they're dumps. Man they sound AWESOME IMO!!!! Also, I don't hear myself everywhere I go

I'd suggest an H-pipe, may not net that extra 2hp, but the sound you gain is MORE than worth it IMO.

Also, I didn't like Magnaflow mufflers or catback, just didn't sound good to me....

I'd go w/ Spintech, Flowmaster, Borla, Dynomax, or Mac (Mac sounds damn good when used w/ a Prochamber).

-Will

-Will
TARZAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:50 PM   #7
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

IMHO the SOHC 4.6L with 2 chamber flows and an offroad X-pipe is almost as good as it gets. In fact, its a little too loud for my taste, but boy does it sound boss. My brother has the Bassani o/r-x and 2 chambers on his 99GT and it's one of the meanest sounding cars around.
I have several friends who have made the mistake of going with 1 chambers on a street car. I'd say don't do it. The 2 chambers with an O/R pipe will make it sound like you drive an 11 sec car...there's no need to make it sound like you drive a 9 sec car.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If you are going no cats and want Magnaflows I would recommend getting the MagnaFLOWS rather than the MagnaPACKS because the 'packs sound too raspy and pop on decel with no cats.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #9
TARZAN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
If you are going no cats and want Magnaflows I would recommend getting the MagnaFLOWS rather than the MagnaPACKS because the 'packs sound too raspy and pop on decel with no cats.

I FULLY agree

-Will

-Will
TARZAN is offline   Reply With Quote