MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
aceplayer25
Registered Member

Default second gear grinding

I have a 97 cobra with the T-45 trans. I noticed when I take off in 1st gear,run it up anywhere around 6000rpm, not speed shifting but just normally putting in 2nd gear it grinds. It seems like I read somewhere about people having this problem and changed the transmission fluid to a different kind that it helped the problem. Has anyone heard of this? I bought it from an old man a couple of months ago with 33000 miles and stored in his garage most of the time, it still had the FACTORY (dry-rotted tires) on it.This car has not been abused. I just purchased 3.73 gears and Tri-ax shifter that I will be putting in next weekend and would like to solve this problem before I do these installations. Thanks for reading, hope someone has some answers.
aceplayer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

I had a friend with a similar problem and when he installed his new shifter it seemed to help minimize the grinding sound greatly.
Install your new shifter and see if it helps, before changing the trans fluid.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

The Tri-Ax shifter is awesome. I could not believe the difference that it made. It may help with your problem by making the shifting more precise especially if the stops have gotten worn on the old shifter.

One thing to note, though, the after market shifters are noisier since they do not have any rubber bushings. You tend to hear a little more noise with the Tri-Ax. It is much more solid, precise, and the gears snap into place. It is a much more rigid setup so vibrations are more easily transfered.

Sounds like you found a real gem of a car. Wow! '97 Cobra with 33k! That is great. Good Luck.

Try a good synthetic trans fluid. I used to have a '92 Eclipse Turbo (before I became saved and bought American) and it did the same thing after about 35K. Better tranny fluid fixed it.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: second gear grinding

Quote:
Originally posted by aceplayer25
I have a 97 cobra with the T-45 trans. I noticed when I take off in 1st gear,run it up anywhere around 6000rpm, not speed shifting but just normally putting in 2nd gear it grinds. It seems like I read somewhere about people having this problem and changed the transmission fluid to a different kind that it helped the problem. Has anyone heard of this? I bought it from an old man a couple of months ago with 33000 miles and stored in his garage most of the time, it still had the FACTORY (dry-rotted tires) on it.This car has not been abused. I just purchased 3.73 gears and Tri-ax shifter that I will be putting in next weekend and would like to solve this problem before I do these installations. Thanks for reading, hope someone has some answers.
when you put the new shifter in change the trans fluid to royal purple it will help with the grinding as well

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote