MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-03-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
urstangsmoke
Addict

Default turbo?

im thinking about turbo charging my 03 gt. everyone i talk to is supercharge this and supercharge that, i want to be a little different. but, at the same time i dont know much about turbo charging. positives and negatives? what would i have to do to prep my engine before i install it, if i do, any mods required or suggested? how much boost, and what about timing? retarded, advanced? i want to do it right the first time.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #2
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool Turbo set ups

Well I would recommend forging the bottom end.

If you plan on running a turbo on a SOHC for street use-expect to run a low amount of boost. 5-8lbs. Turbos on the SOHC is still an exotic setup so there are a only few folks that can quote what they've done.

Because turbo charging a SOHC Mustang is kinda rare expect to pay more than your standard Supercharger kit and installation.

A Boost controller should be included in the kit, if not, get it!

Bottomline: Get smart on all the requirements because the cost is serious.

1. Forged Bottom end
2. A Lot of $$$$$$$$$$
3. Knowledge on what it will require/changes

Example:
the Mach 1 DOHC Induction Concepts

390rwhp @ 4psi
511rwhp @ 8psi

Related links:
TurboCharged Power
Turbo Mustangs
Induction Concepts
Pro Turbo Kits

There are couple notable cars runing single and twin tubo set ups.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
urstangsmoke
Addict

thanks a lot for all the info, you pretty much answered all my questions perfectly. i realized that there really aren't a lot of stangs out there turbo'd, thats kind of teh reason why i want to do it. i didnt think that it would be nearly that expensive, not to say i wasn't expecting it to cost a good chunk of change. the numbers sound good though. i still have a lot of research to do but the info is great, thanks again
Old 04-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by urstangsmoke
thanks a lot for all the info, you pretty much answered all my questions perfectly. i realized that there really aren't a lot of stangs out there turbo'd, thats kind of teh reason why i want to do it. i didnt think that it would be nearly that expensive, not to say i wasn't expecting it to cost a good chunk of change. the numbers sound good though. i still have a lot of research to do but the info is great, thanks again
the turbo kit alone will cost around 5000 for one that is complete

and if dont go with a built bottom end make sure you have enough money put away when the times after the motor blows
cause its not a if its when

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
04S/CStallion
Registered Member

If your gonna run a intercooled system which I'm sure you will you can safely run a TOTAL of 8psi safely without having to do anything to the engine. Now those numbers are different for DOHC engines they have different pistons. If you run more than 8psi then your going to crack the pistons not too far down the road.
04S/CStallion is offline   Reply With Quote