MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-03-2000, 10:05 AM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool GTS

Hey 96GTS,
I was responding to your reply in my Struts/ shocks install. I think I accidentally erased the whole post when I edited one of my replies. Anyway, thanks for the help. My real question is - I thought they only had the GTS models in 95. Did they make a limited number in 96 as well or what? I am not disputing you, I am just curious.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 08-03-2000).]
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 03:41 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I know that there are GTSs with the 4.6, so that would mean 96 or later.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 07:54 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

I know what ya mean. They made the GTS for like 5 or 6 months which overlapped 95 and 96 "model" years. Some have the 5.0 and some have the 4.6. There are two other GTS's here, one a 95 and the other a 96. I'm not sure how many there are or how common they are. The date made (I'd have to look again for exact date), for my car, is 95 but it's a 96 "model". You're welcome for the help. If ya have anything else to ask I'll try to help. I like my GTS. I had to get used to not having the power windows and locks, especially the cruise control being gone. The lack of fog lights is handy cause it makes it nice to put my ram air where the passenger fog lamp used to be. And unless you have paid attention to the GT you don't even notice the LX interior. -Later

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 10:02 PM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You know what, come to think of it, when I was looking for a Stang (before I found my 96) I test drove a blue 96 GT here in town that had manual locks and windows and all that. I can't remember if it had air or not, but I bet it was a GTS. I didn't even think about that. For some reason 95 was the year that stuck in my head for that. Carthage isn't too far from Manhattan, if you're ever around the area I'd sure like to see your ride or atleast here what those turndowns sound like.

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the info.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Old 08-04-2000, 01:46 PM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

What was the difference between the GT and the GTS. My insurance company says that according to my serial number I have a GTS, yet from what I picked up in your post the GTS did not have certain options??

what's the story

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
All stock except
K&N filters
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 02:43 PM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

The way I understood it, the GTS's kind of mimicked the old 5.0 LX cars. Basically, you get the V8 without all the frills. I think originally this was intended for people who had intentions of racing their cars and didn't want to mess with all the power options and air and the like. Some overlapped into 96 but in 95 you could get one minus a spoiler and all the options (someone jump in here if I'm way off) so it made getting a V8 a little cheaper and you didn't have to worry about deleting the air and all that junk after you bought it.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico non-adjustable struts/ shocks (more to come)
Old 08-05-2000, 02:20 PM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

GTS:

no power windows
no power door locks
no cruise control
no spoiler
no fog lights
base LX interior not GT interior
V8: 95=5.0 96=4.6
5-speed
Stefan is right about "mimicking" the old 5.0 LX for the "race minded".
does have A/C, AM/FM Stereo/cassette, and power mirrors<-weird, huh?, but nice to have with everything else being manual.
they only made them for about 5-6 months cause they weren't selling very many. most of the consumers want all the goodies.
Mine weighs 3250 lbs compared to the avg. stock GT (SN95) of about 3500 lbs. Mine's probably a little lighter since a recent weight reduction. It's been awhile since the 3200 lb weigh in. You can tell a difference just in the weight of the doors.
"95mustangGT": Does your car fit any of that description?
------------------
1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers)

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 08-05-2000).]
Old 08-07-2000, 05:16 AM   #8
Dino
Registered Member

I have a 96 GTS as well. I lack all the things that 96GTS mentioned except the spoiler which was added by some dealers because they didn't think they would sell well without the spoiler. The spoiler that was put on mine is the V6 spoiler (the one with the 3 legs, one on each end and one in the middle). It looks pretty cool. Considering the lack of those power options and the decrease in weight, would it be true to say that the GTS would be a little quicker than a GT? How much?

------------------
96 GTS, 4.6L, 5 spd, MAC cat H-pipe, straight pipe mufflers, 3.55's, pulleys, air silencer removed
*** coming soon : WMS cold air induction w/87mm MAF, subframes, shifter

86 GT Convertible, 5.0L, 5 spd.
1986 Mustang GT Convertible ***2 pics of the stang and one of me***

[This message has been edited by Dino (edited 08-07-2000).]
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2000, 09:29 AM   #9
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Hey Dino: Does your spoiler have the 3rd light on the trunk lid, or an the spoiler itself?
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2000, 05:20 PM   #10
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

I put a spoiler of a 94 LX on mine right after I bought it cause I didn't like the looks. Now I kind of wish I would have left it off just to be different. Third/middle brake light is in the trunk lid.

------------------