MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2000, 05:59 PM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Question Code Scanners

Does anyone know where I can get a code scanner for my 96GT? I've tried Autozone and O'Reiley's, but they only have scanners that go up to the 95 model year. Surely they make them for the 96-2000 models. Here's the deal - the dreaded check engine light is coming on (not flashing) but all my gauges are reading normal. Good oil pressure, no overheating, etc. It came on last month on a trip to TN but we had just turned around 60,000 miles so I thought it was an emissions warning. Then it turned off and has been on and off a few other times since then. I'd rather figure out what the code is on my own if I can to save money ($45 or so for a garage to hook it up or $30 for my own scanner). I figure it's probably the the O2 sensors or something but I'd like to know for sure.

Sorry for the rambling-
Thanks
Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico non-adjustable struts/ shocks (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2000, 06:50 PM   #2
RAS 96GT
Registered Member

Wink

Yes... JcWhitney Catologe or get on line. There are a couple different levels offered- depends if you want a digital read-out, etc. I picked up the Scantron3 for all OBD2 computers '96 and newer- so I should be able to use it on my 96 stang or my wifes 96 hyndai accent or my brothers 97 eclipse and so on. Payed $165.00, Sounds expensive!?! Fix your car once and it pays for itself. and its really easy to use. You can pay as little as $24.00 too.

As far as what your car is doing, it doesnt sound like their is anything wrong with it. Get this- Some cars will throw a check engine light for no apparent reason (mabye programmed into the computer at a certain ammount of miles)forcing you to bring it back to the dealership. Dont know if this holds true on Ford cars, but its happened to 3 other cars I know, then they drive into the shop and get charged $65. or $75 to clear the stupid code.

Before you spend any money, if the car is not "acting" funny- I.E. on acceleration, decelleration, at idle, etc... try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery over night to wipe out the trouble code. Drive it around for a while the next morning and see if the light comes back on. That should do it. Good luck.

------------------
-Rich Lazer Red 96GT, K&N, Steeda Pullies, Mobile 1 Synth, NGK TR55s,Pro 5.0 Shifter, 3.27 Gears, and more to come.
RAS 96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2000, 10:04 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Hey Man, thanks for the help. I didn't even think about JC Whitney. I'll look 'em up online and see what suits me. I don't think I need anything too fancy, just something that will spit out the trouble codes. As far as the check engine light goes, it ended up being the purge valve switch or something like that. Thankfully my local mechanic didn't charge me for any diagnostics - just the part and the replacement labor so I got off easy. Anyway, thanks again for the help, it is always appreciated.

BTW, how do you like your Steeda pullies? Any charging or cooling problems at all? I've been toying with the idea of pullies for a while but had the usual concerns. I have the stock Mach 460 CD/ Cassette and only have slight cooling issues when the air is on in the Kansas 100+ temps. Could you tell any seat of the pants difference after putting the pullies in?

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Old 08-22-2000, 09:42 AM   #4
RAS 96GT
Registered Member

Cool

Love Em... Haven't noticed any problems yet, but I'll have to let you know (I literally just got them). Never heard of any probs w/4.6 but the 5.0 guys need a bigger alt. I have the mach 460 blarring, cell phone plugged in, air blowen, head lights/fog lights on, no problem. Sure the guages go up- nothing serious. Full charge @ 900 RPM. Just dont let your car sit at idle. Might want to try a 180 therm- very easy and inexpensive fix. If your going to get pullies, get the balanced type. I heard stories about the piggyback if not installed right. And your in luck... $159.00 Steeda special.

The car pulls a little better but pullies alone wont do it for me. Definately with a combo of a Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax mufflers, 80mm C&L MAF, and the pullies I'm sure I'll feel a difference in the seat of my 501's.

Saw the Pony pictures,... car looks great. Nice pedals. Ever have any problems w/your foot sliding off of them on a rainy/snowy day???
Keep her on the road,

------------------
-Rich Lazer Red 96GT, K&N, Steeda Pullies, Mobile 1 Synth, NGK TR55s,Pro 5.0 Shifter, 3.27 Gears, and more to come.
RAS 96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2000, 01:31 PM   #5
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I was thinking of the March pulley set as I have heard good things about them, but I've heard quite a bit about Steeda as well. I think I'll have to grab a set and see if I can install them without breaking anything.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics, I didn't think anybody but me was looking at them. Actually, with the pedals it's quite the opposite. Wet or dry my shoes grip much better to them. For one, they are wider than the stockers, and second, the cutout circles are raised a tad so it gives the pedal a little more surface area. I went through quite a few drill bits installing them but I think it was worth it. With the top down on a sunny day they really stand out.
Anyway, thanks for the help... maaaaany more questions are coming.... mwahaha...mwaaahaaahaaa.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe

96 GT Convertible