MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-29-2000, 07:29 PM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Question 97 GT

Looks like Im gonna get a 97 GT. It is completely stock, with 27000 miles. I have big plans for it, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the stock hp and torque ratings were. Also, what do you think my 0-60 times will be. Oh yeah, and it is, unfortunately, an Automatic (price is unbelievable, can't pass it up). Any advice on where to start with it? Thanks.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 12:37 AM   #2
T_Bone
Registered Member

stock - 215hp. don't know the torque or 0-60, but the 1/4 mile is usually low 15's stock, I think. K&N air filter to start with. Then the big stuff. Start with the gears, 3:73's. Since it's an auto, maybe a torque converter? Not sure. Then lose the 6 cat H-pipe for something less restrictive, 2 cat H or X pipe. Since you live in CA, gotta keep it legal, no offroad(catless) pipes, I'm thinking. Short throw shifter, underdrive pulleys, '99 intake/head swap, blah blah blah... Then it gets expensive, hehe.

------------------
T-Bones '96GT

'96 GT 5-speed
Roush Cold Air Kit w/ K&N, 80MM Mass Air, Mac Cat-Back, Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70MM TB, March U/D Pulleys, Steeda Tri-Ax.
T_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 08:29 AM   #3
cravnpup
Registered Member

Definately start with gears...You might even want to go as low as 4:10's. this will give you the biggest performance improvement for the money, plus it will lay the foundation for all of your future mods... Once, you have the gears you need to think about a plan of action depending on your goals. If you like making you stang sound bada$$, then go for the exhaust side first (headers, x/h-pipe, catback), then follow up with the intake side (MAF, tb, coldair, etc..). This should get you to around 250-260 bhp. If you want a little more consider pulleys and a chip, and maybe some fuel system upgrades. But if you still want a lot more, you can start with the FMS Heads/Intake switch. If that's not enough, there's always a blower or N20. Whatever you decide to do make sure that you have the proper fuel delivery for your particular application. Do it once do it right...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Current Mods: K&N, Mobile 1
ET: 14.6@99.8 (Bogged)
Upcoming Mods: BBK Longtubes, BBK H-pipe w/cats, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, and much much more
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 10:37 AM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Go for the 4.10s with the auto. The car is heavier and needs to get into it's power band quicker and is a higher revving engine (it's power is higher in the rpms) than the 5.0s. Rule of thumb for the 4.6 on gears for the daily driver is 3.73s for the 5-speed and 4.10s for the auto. K&N filter and remove the air silencer. Strut tower brace. Exhaust for sure. The exhaust on that car is very restrictive. with the 4.6 if you get an offroad exhaust h or x-pipe, you'll have trouble with the check engine light/emissions system turning on and cuttin' down the power unless you get MIL eliminators which will take care of that. but if you get a cat pipe (h or x) you shouldn't have any trouble with emissions. The new computer on the 4.6s (OBDII) is much faster and more sensitive than the 5.0s (EEC-IV). If you use X-pipe use straight flow thru mufflers (ex.:magnaflow), if h-pipe use baffled mufflers (ex:flowmaster). Underdrive pullies. Next would be heads and intake (FMS). Supercharger or turbo. Nothing cheap about the 4.6 upgrades.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers)

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 08-30-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 05:49 PM   #5
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Since Ill only have a little bit of money to spend at first, Im thinking K&N and flows. Then, I was going to do the 4.10's and I heard that would run me like $300, but when I went to the performance shop near me today, I was quoted $950?!?!? for the whole thing. Can that be right? Am I being taken? Thanks agian
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 06:42 PM   #6
Sapper
Registered Member

Hey I've got a 97 GT with an auto also. If I were to install 4:10's what kind of RPM's could I expect at highway speed's say 80mph?
Sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 10:58 PM   #7
2cammer97
Registered Member

the stock ratings were 215 hp and 290 tq. i'd say go with a good converter and then put in gears (4.10's or 3.73's). i don't know what kind of budget you have but in order to get these things to move you need a lot of boltons or a supercharger or nitrous. consider swapping on a set of 99 heads, that is what i am doing next. my 97 made 200 hp and 275 tq at the wheels with just pullies, K&N, 70 mm throttle body and FMS shorty headers. i've put on a lot more since then and the car has gone 9.2's in the 1/8 at 78 mph w/ 2.3 60 foot times, but i know it can go faster with better driving. congratulations on the purchase and good luck with you mods.

------------------
97 Mustang GT Rio Red w/ tan leather
Nitto NT555extreme 255/45ZR17 on all fours
Steeda sport springs
Steeda caster/camber plates
Offset steering rack bushings
Tokico struts/shocks
Steeda Triax shifter
FMS heavy duty clutch w/ aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster
FMS 3.73 Gears
FMS 70 mm Throttle body
Pro-M 87 mm mass air
K&N filter w/ removed silencer
FMS underdrive pullies
FMS 9mm plug wires
Steeda timing adjuster
MSD DIS-4 ignition
Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 190 lph fuel pump
FMS shorty headers
Bassani x-pipe w/ cats
Mac cat-back exhaust
Mac white face gauges w/ autometer shiftlight
2cammer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2000, 08:23 AM   #8
cravnpup
Registered Member

$950?????? Go to another shop!!!! That is way too much for just gears and the install....
Gears are usually about $190, and the install usually takes about 4 hrs. At $50/hr for the factory mechanic that equates to $390 total. I wouldn't pay anymore than that!! However, if you factor in the K&N and Flows you mentioned, the K&N is $50 and should be self installed, and a full catback is $350 and takes about 1-2 hrs. For everything parts and labor installed you are at about $890...
So if your shop is quoting everything then it seems to be about right, but if it's just talking about the gears, you need to go somewhere else...

------------------
2000 GT Conv. 5speed
Triple Black
Current Mods: K&N, Mobile 1
ET: 14.6@99.8 (Bogged)
Upcoming Mods: BBK Longtubes, BBK H-pipe w/cats, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, and much much more
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2000, 09:55 AM   #9
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

That price is way too high. Shop around. You can get the gears from Diversified Products for $149 (look in MM&FF for their number). And with buying new shims, bearings, fluid and all that and including labor it'll roughly be around total of $400. Heck if you have all the parts Ford will put it in for around $200. That's what they wanted to do mine. I had a speed shop put mine in for $200. Total w/parts and labor came around $400. It's worth the money. Never buy used gears. And go with Ford Motorsport. Used gears will whine like crazy, been there, done that. Don't buy cheap gears like Zoom either, they whine period. With FMS and a good shop they will not whine. Richmond are good gears but will most likely whine whether they are new and installed well or not. You will have the best luck with FMS gears and you can't beat the price from Diversified either. Have fun!!

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote