MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-16-2000, 06:59 PM   #1
treedstang
Registered Member

Post Suspension Help

Could someone tell me exactly what are spindles and how they work on 98GTS. A guy over at Meineke muffler shop told me instead of Replacing the Front and rear Springs to lower the car. He suggested to lower the back with springs and use spindles up front because he claims that lowering springs upfront would make the car hard to align and cause excessive tire wear in the front as well. Anyone that can shine some light on this subject it will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

------------------
98GT, Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Catback system/ K&N Filter,B&M Ripper short throw shifter
treedstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2000, 09:05 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Don't listen to him. He's on crack. Use lowering springs all the way around. You then also add caster/camber plates so that your alignment can be adjusted much better. Without the cc plates the alignment can not be done good enough and your tires will wear badly. The factory adjustment for caster/camber will not work well enough to adjust c/c correctly. Don't mess with the spindles, these are which the wheels/brakes attach to. Also if you lower the car start savin' up, if you don't already have the cash, for new struts and shocks because the factory ones are not made to operate on a lowered car and will wear out rather quickly as well as ride and handling will suffer until properly corrected with the correct type of struts/shocks. Koni (reds or yellows) and Tokico (non-adjustable or adujustables) are two very good struts/shocks in which to use. In fact, I wouldn't use anything else other than one of those two if it were me. Besides I don't know of anyone that makes such spindles for current stangs. Don't bother with the Meineke fella. Let us know if you need any more help.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 48,000 miles. $11,500
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2000, 09:10 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Also you don't want to lower the car over 1.5". The reason is your suspension geometry will be severely compromised which will damage the suspension as well as the chassis. Handling and ride will suck, too. Some websites to check out. www.globalwest.net/ www.tokico.com/ www.mrpracing.com/ www.steeda.com/ www.ipschassis.com/ www.griggsracing.com/ www.koni.com/

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 48,000 miles. $11,500
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2000, 07:37 AM   #4
treedstang
Registered Member

Thanks for the info 96GTS i will checkout those websites this morning

------------------
98GT, Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Catback system/ K&N Filter,B&M Ripper short throw shifter
Old 10-17-2000, 01:19 PM   #5
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Just wanted to pipe in and say that if you do replace your shocks and struts, I think the Tokicos are awesome. Everything else is stock on my suspension save for the shocks and struts and they made the car feel totally new. I opted for the non-adjustables as my driving style doesn't really call for the adjustables.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator, Firestone Firehawk 215/60R14's

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper, Borla Side exhaust,
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico struts/ shocks, BF Goodrich Comp T/A 245/50 16's
Next up: 3:73's, high flow H-Pipe

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2000, 03:01 PM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Steeda makes upgraded spindles for Mustangs. There not in their catalog and I have no idea how much the cost or availability. But unless your planning on driving 200 mph, don't worry about it.

96GTS is correct, and I have to agree with Stefan about the Tokicos.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2000, 03:03 PM   #7
treedstang
Registered Member

Thanks Snake

------------------