MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-06-2000, 02:28 AM   #1
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Post JBA Headers

Well the after-market for mod motors seems to be growing, at least some.
http://www.jbaheaders.com/

JBA now makes a set of shorty headers for Cobras. Anybody have them?

I can't get the dyno they posted on their website to open correctly (xls, but excel doesn't like it?), but from what I've heard it might be eronious anyway.

But 1.5" tubes seems a bit small for a Cobra. I wouldn't think anyless then 1 5/8 (1.625") would probably hurt the top end, the Cobra's strong suite.

Comparing them to the FRPP (which I have), the only other shorty (direct replacement) header currently available: The FRPP has larger tubes, 1 5/8s, but uses a modified tri-Y design. Also called a 4-2-1 by some people. The JBA headers' tubes all end at the collector (4-1). To make them a direct fit for the factory manifolds is probably why the tubes are smaller.

I'd be curious to see dyno results, but my guess is that compared to the FRPP, that the JBA will give better low end due to the better scavanging from the longer tubes(more vacuum) and smaller diameter(higher velocity) tubes, but will lose on the top end because of the more restricted flow due to the smaller tubes.

The other thing I'm curious about is the quality. The JBA parts cost ($560) quite a bit more then the FRPP($280 stainless, $335 Ceramic coated). My FRPPs had some sloppy welding, which I spent quite a bit of time and quite a few bits grinding down and polishing with a dremil. Its extremely hard steel.

I'm glad the market seems to be growing somewhat. There are some cams due out fairly soon, and Ford seems to be serious about releasing an intake manifold and heads based on the FR500. But then again, Ford likes to tease.

Anyway, I just curious if anyone has the JBA headers and/or any impressions on them.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 06:53 PM   #2
Ares
Registered Member

Short tube headers do not make all to much more power over stock cast iron manifolds. That is biggest reason you will see mostly long tube headers for Mod motors. If you are intent on the JBA then they do make a little more then the FRPP one's, but if you have the money and time to install longtubes then that is the way to go.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 07:53 PM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Clearence is a serious issue on some cars, such as mine. Also, short tube headers do make a big difference on blown cars.
Old 11-07-2000, 11:53 AM   #4
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I also have been thinking about headers but in now way shape or form will I pay the kind of money some of these places are asking for. Especially when most people I hear from are only gaining 5-8HP.

When more headers become available and become a little more resonably priced I will look into a set of Long tubes. Until then I stick with my cheap mods!

------------------
00 GT, K&N, MAC Tree Killer, Pullies, 4.10’s, 2 chamber Flowmasters, UPR shifter, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s 13.35@100.02 (1.88 60ft)MM#100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool, more to come
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 01:11 PM   #5
cobrayankee
Registered Member

There was a recent post for a JBA group purchase in which they were only going to cost me $350 coated, shipped to my door. Did you guys see that one? Go back a week or two.

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 10:19 PM   #6
96cobra89Lx306

I think they are a waste of money for such little gains. Longtubes are the way to go like Ares said. I just read of a 35hp increase on a supercharged Cobra using the new Mac Longtubes and 2 cat h-pipe. If you can't afford this move, I think decent power gains can be found on our cars by removing that very restrictive stock H pipe.

-I can't wait for the FR-500 intake(if it isn't a tease) I just wonder if we will have to use the 99up Cobra heads or different. Probably. I just don't know for sure if these heads are better or is it that rumor about the pistons and the low compression ratio issue that makes the new heads look bad.

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(gutted),C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower before gutting the X pipe
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)
Old 11-10-2000, 02:25 AM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Hopefully Ford isn't kidding, but there appears to be an intake and 4v heads ready to hit the market. The intake uses IMRCs, but high in the intake a la 360 Modena. The heads are suposity a combination 99 swirl and 96-98 even flow. We'll see....

But just remember, 30+ w/ longtubes, and 20+ w/ short tubes, supercharged. Obviously the long tubes are better, but. Also, by far, the stock H-pipe and cats are the most restritive part of the stock exhaulst. Results with shorties and aftermarket H or X pipes varies significantly from stock H pipes to after market ones.

Modding mods is still up for debate (other then blowers. ).