MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-26-2000, 10:02 PM   #1
King Snake
Registered Member

Question Does your car do this?

How many of you have noticed your electric air pump running right after cranking your car? I am trying to figure out if I have a problem or not.

Thanks!

------------------
'97 Cobra, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, Rio Red

[This message has been edited by King Snake (edited 11-26-2000).]
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2000, 12:53 AM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

You mean right after you start it? That's normal. Until the cats and O2 sensors heat up enough to start working the air pump runs for emissions.

Other then that, are you still having trouble with your CAI?
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2000, 12:02 PM   #3
King Snake
Registered Member

The only problem I am having is the air pump running, if that is a problem at all. I never noticed it running until I installed the CAI. The installation of the CAI required relocating the air pump with a bracket provided by MAC. I am thinking that this bracket causes the pump to sound louder than before because of less rigid mounting. In other words, maybe it was coming on before and I just didn't notice. I have also noticed an increase in the amount of water coming from the tail pipes right after a cold start. Any ideas? I know H2O is a byproduct of the reaction that takes place in the cats. But why the sudden increase?

------------------
Old 12-02-2000, 03:30 PM   #4
King Snake
Registered Member

I finally figured it out! The reason my air pump was making so much noise is because when I relocated it during the installation of my cold air kit the top of the pump was pressing against the frame amplifying the sound and making it very loud from inside the car! I made an adjustment to the mounting bracket and cured the problem. It still runs at startup, which is normal, but you can barely hear it run now. Just thought I'd share my findings in case someone else runs into this. Thanks for all your input!

------------------
Old 12-03-2000, 03:20 AM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Thanks!

Compared to my exhaulst my air pump is pretty much silent. I'm glad you figured it out. I was spending quite a bit of time listening to my car and stratching my head.

Despite the problems, how do you like your CAI?
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 12:07 PM   #6
King Snake
Registered Member

Very much. Not only does it look killer, it made a noticable seat-of-the pants difference in acceleration. I have been playing with my intake and filter system for a while. First I installed the famous K&N and removed my silencer. Much better. Then after a while I decided to run an open element under the hood. It looked awsome but performance suffered due to the hot air entering the engine. Then I installed the MAC CAI and noticed a pretty substantial gain. Of course if I had not already hurt my performance by running an open element the gain would probably have been less noticable. Overall I am happy with it and find the claim of an 8-12 HP gain pretty reasonable. I have pics of the three stages I mentioned and plan on posting them soon.

------------------

[This message has been edited by King Snake (edited 12-04-2000).]