MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-08-2001, 11:03 AM   #1
Grey-GT-01
Registered Member

Question Mods 4 01 GT... Pros & Cons

I finally got my own GT, so I don't have to drool as much about everyone else's. I've spent the last month or so reading your articles trying to determine what the best mods are for my $. I'm considering Stedda pullies and TA, however some members seem to feel that there a waste for a 01, at least the pullies, and the timming setting without detonation seems to be grey as well. Then there's the Mac Cold Air, there is also mixed reports of performance loss with the removal of the silencer. The Stedda Tri-ax has been posted to becoming loose after a few weeks, and creating alot of interior noise, but everyone seems to have it. Now I don't even want to get into the cat-backs because there seems to be many view points here, but I want my GT to have a tone. Long term, its a SC for me. Short term, I would like to wake it up a bit, put a little sound into the exhaust, and enjoy my new car without creating problems, or experiencing a power loss. Any insight on these mods would be appreciated.
Grey-GT-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 11:17 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Congrats on the car!

I don't know how many cats there are on the newer Stangs but an off-road or hiflow hpipe would open up the exhaust a bit. Again, i'm not knowledgeable on the new GT's but I don't think the muffs are as restrictive in years past. Regardless, there are many catbacks to choose from for a nice tone. Definitely get gears. If it's a 5 speed you'll want 3:73's or 4.10's depending on your driving style. Steeda Tri-Ax shifters are used by many people on this board. They are apparently a little noisy but I haven't heard anyone have any problems with them. I have the B&M Ripper on my 96GT. Those will be a good start and give you good bang for the buck.

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 12:59 PM   #3
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Pullies are a good mod on any mustang period. No such thing as they make good power on 2000 but not 2001. Your reducing drag on the motor so it's going to make more power. Timing adjuster same thing, I picked up 9.2RWHP on the dyno with it set at 14*. However depending on when your going to get a blower you'll have to put your stock pullies back on.

Like Stefan said catbacks stock are good enough and there is very little to nothing to be gained other than getting that distinctive sound you want. Offroad H or X is a good place to pick up a solid 10RWHP, the catted version about 8RWHP.

MAC CAI kit = garbage. I've never see any significant gains on the dyno and this again will be another mod you can't use with a blower. For gears that is up to you depending on what you looking to get out of the car in the end. I like to drag race a lot but I also drive 75 miles round trip to work every day and also to events on the east coast. I had 4.10's for the past year and just upgraded to 4.30's. Both work great but it really depends on what your vehicles purpose would be. With a blower in your future I'd stick with 3.73's or 4.10's.

For shifters if it's installed right they don't come loose. Sometimes people complain about interior noise but these people also don't always put the rubber boot back on during the re-install of the shifter. Personally I would put up with a little bit of driveline noise for the added insurance that I'm not going to kill my trans that much quicker.

Bill

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100, 7085
2001 Mod Motor Shootout 2V NA Champion
Recent Pic from Moroso

Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 04:34 AM   #4
300hp99GT
Registered Member

hey..... good taste in cars. as you can see from my name here i have a 99 GT with @ 300hp. the 3 main mods i would suggest is the 373 gears, bassani x-pipe( with cats), and a custom superchip. dont bother with the pulleys unless its going to be a while before you add the SC. hang on to the stock pulleys for then. also, dont get the timing adjuster. i have it but it was a waste of money. the chip will bump up your timing. also, when you get the gears you are either going to have to get the chip custom set or a calibration box so that your speedometer will be right. so the chip kills two birds with one stone. if possible get the gears and the chip custom made at the same time. i had my car dynoed before and after the bassani x-pipe. no lie..... it added 17 rwhp. it was one of my first mods and my first dyno was 223 rwhp. after the x-pipe it dynoed at 240 rwhp. if its going to be a while before you get the blower, id say get the pulleys and a throttle body. i also have the tri-ax shifter. it is noisy but almost every solid based shifter is going to be. mine hasnt came loose at all. maybe i was able to help. good luck.
300hp99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 10:45 PM   #5
jpinoh
Registered Member

300hp99gt,

Which throttle body did you get? A 70mm FRPP or someone else's?

This is a good discussion - most of the mags I've read with dyno info show catbacks, etc., didn't add a lot of rwhp. Seems like you could spend $1000 to $1500 on a 99+ 4.6 and get maybe 20 rwhp. The x-pipe with cats sounds like a good hp/$$ ratio to spend on...

--jp
jpinoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:25 PM   #6
Bushmaster
Registered Member

I've only had my '01 GT for six weeks.....you've made a great choice. So far I've added the TriAx shifter and a set of 4.10s and I love them both. No second thoughts at all. The shifter is mandatory, as you'll discover once you compare it to the stock one, and the 4.10s completely transform the car into something that's a constant blast to drive, with virtually no cost in driveability. I lost maybe one mpg at 75 on the highway and I've noticed no difference in town. The real difference is I can't stay out of the car. Good luck and have fun!
Bushmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 11:35 AM   #7
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Bushmaster:

What kind of gears did you get? Do you notice any whining from them? The reason I ask is because I had Richmond 3.73's in my 91 and they would whine under light acceleration. Im thinking about going with FRPP 4.10's this time around.

------------------
91 GT AOD: 14.71@91.78mph
SOLD!!
01 GT 5-speed on order: Ordered: 06/13/01
Biuld Date: 08/20/01
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 02:17 PM   #8
Bushmaster
Registered Member

Mine are FRPP.....those are the only ones I'd get and the only ones that the local Ford service department was interested in installing for me. I got them from Gene Evans Ford for $150. No gear whine so far....just tires squalling!
Bushmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 07:03 PM   #9
300hp99GT
Registered Member

i havent swapped throttle bodies on mine. it was just a suggestion to him if he is planning on staying N/A.
300hp99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 08:46 AM   #10
Grey-GT-01
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for all the good advice. Sounds like gears and the steeda tri-ax will be a great place to start.
Grey-GT-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 09:14 PM   #11
VA_Stanger
Registered Member

Buy a K&N air filter. It makes a world of difference in horsepower. And, not only do you get more horses, you'll get a better gas mileage.
VA_Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 02:26 PM   #12
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

A K&N filter is only good for MAYBE a couple of horsepower. On the 91, mine was good for not even 2hp. It doesn't make a world of difference in power but it will improve the airflow and the quality of air that your car breathes.

------------------
91 GT AOD: 14.71@91.78mph
SOLD!!
01 GT 5-speed on order: Ordered: 06/13/01
Build Date: 08/20/01
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote