MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-10-2002, 02:35 PM   #1
springs_stang
Registered Member

Angry Crank bolt removal

Anyone have any tricks to getting the crack pulley to not turn while I'm trying to break the bolt lose? I looked at trying to jam a screwdriver in the starter ring gear, as suggested in the manuals, yeah right! I can barely see the starter let alone get my hand in there with a screwdriver. I've been thinking about getting a long piece of metal, drilling a few in it, and attaching it to the pulley so that it would hit the ground, and I could then break the bolt loose, sound reasonable? If anyone has a better idea please share it.

MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda T/A, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Magnapack cat-back, MM C/C plates, Fox Lake PI heads, BBK LTs, waiting on brown truck with with my Comp Cams

197.3rwhp
272.8tq
springs_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 02:44 PM   #2
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

This is from Steeda's website FAQ section for instaling Pulleys

-----On automatic transmission cars, the engine must be held from turning by holding the torque converter. The torque converter can be accessed by removing a plug towards the front-drivers side of the transmission. (Consult a service manual for more information). Hold the torque converter from turning with a 14mm wrench.----

I believe on a manual you should be able to brace the wheels from turning and put the car in a high gear like 4 or 5 and that should keep enough back pressure on the flywheel to not allow the crank to turn... I don't deal with manuals much, so, if it doesn't work or breaks something, don't get mad at me...

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:26 AM   #3
springs_stang
Registered Member

Putting it in 5th was the ticket, thanks for the info

MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda T/A, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Magnapack cat-back, MM C/C plates, Fox Lake PI heads, BBK LTs, waiting on brown truck with with my Comp Cams

197.3rwhp
272.8tq
springs_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:16 PM   #4
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Just to make sure, don't re-use that crank bolt. It is a torque to yield bolt and needs to be chucked. It will loosen over time if you try to use it again. I think your new pulleys will come with a new bolt though. If not, go to Ford and buy a new one.

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote