MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-17-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
steedamustang01
Registered Member

Default Loose Sloppy Clutch In 2001 Gt

SORRY THIS IS A LITTLE LONG BUT PLEASE PLEASE READ AND HELP ME,.... PLEASE!

I HAVE A 2001 GT, 5 SPEED. IT NOW HAS 15k MILES ON IT AND I'VE HAD IT FOR ABOUT A YEAR. I'M NOT HARD ON IT, SOMETIMES I GET ON IT BUT I'M NOT HARD ON IT. ANYWAYS AROUND 5K MILES OR SO I NOTICED ONE TIME MY CLUTCH HAD ALOT OF PLAY IN IT. LIKE I COULD BLOW ON IT AND IT WOULD GO IN ABOUT AN INCH. IT WAS REALLY SLOPPY. FELT LIKE I WAS DRIVING A HONDA!!!!!!!! IT WAS REALLY EASY TO PUSH IN WHERE IT USE TO BE KINDA STIFF AND HAD TO GIVE ALITTLE BIT TO PUSH IT IN. WELL AFTER A DAY OR SO IT WENT AWAY?? AND EVERY SINCE THEN EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE THE SAME FEELING WILL COME BACK??? I TOOK IT TO FORD COUNTLESS ABOUT OF TIMES AND THEY CAN'T FIND OUT WHAT IT IS, BUT I DID TALK TO THE MASTER MECHINAC AND HE TOLD ME THAT CLUTCH IS AJUSTABLE... SO HE TOLD ME TO PUSH THE CLUTCH IN ALL THE WAY AND SLIP MY FOOT OFF SO THE CLUTCH WILL COME BACK REALLY FAST AND HARD, AFTER I DID THAT IT WAS FINE, IT WENT BACK TO NORMAL FOR A WHILE. BUT THEN IT CAME BACK LATER ON. SO I DID IT AGAIN. PUT THE PEDEL TO THE FLOOR AND LET IT FLY BACK. AND IT CORRECTED THE PROBLEM LIKE EVERY TIME. BUT WHY IS DOES THIS KEEP HAPPING?????? IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING! BUT THE OTHER DAY IT GOT REALLY SLOPPY AGAIN SO I TRIED THE SAME TRICK LIKE 8 TIMES AND IT DIDN'T HELP AT ALL.... SO I DROVE AROUND FOR LIKE 3 DAYS W/ A SLOPPY PEDEL,... THEN AFTER LIKE THE 3RD DAY I GOT IN MY CAR, (HADN'T DONE ANYTHING TO IT) AND THE CLUTCH FELT FINE AGAIN??????????????????? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON. BUT THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR QUITE SOMETIME NOW, HOW DO I FIX IT OR BETTER YET WHAT THE HELL IS CAUSING IT. I HAVE NOTICED THAT SOMETIMES AFTER I GET ON IT ALITTLE BIT IT'S USUALLY SLOPPY AFTERWARDS, BUT NOT EVERYTIME, AND SOMETIMES IT WILL GET SLOPPY WITHOUT ME DOING ANYTHING!!! I CALLED STEEDA YESTERDAY AND THE GUY SAID SOMETHING LIKE THE OTHER GUY SAID ABOUT IT BEING AN AJUSTABLE CLUTCH. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... SOMEONE HELP ME TELL ME HOW TO GET IT TO STAY NORMAL. IT'S SUCKS GETTING IN MY CAR ONE DAY AND FEELS LIKE I'M DRIVING A MUSTANG AND THEN THE NEXT DAY I FEEL LIKE I'M DRIVING A CIVIC!!!!! IT'S A NIGHTMARE! SOMEONE, ANYONE... HELP!!!
MODS: - Painted Side Mirrors, Straight Pipes, K&N Filtercharger, Modified Air Silencer, Steeda Tremex 3650 Short Throw Tri-Ax Shifter, Saleen MOMO Shifter, Custom Painted Interior, Modified Saleen Racecraft Progressive Sport Springs SLAMMED 3 1/2 inches, Saleen S-281 Wing, Saleen chrome wheels 18x9 front and 18x10 rear, Saleen Locking Lugs, 265-35-ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-S's, White Face Indiglo Gauges, 9007 Silver Star HID Headlights, Personalized Licence Plate " 2L8 I 1 " (To Late I Won), Chrome Bumper Decal inserts, Lowered Windshield Wiper MOD, MAC Offset rack bushings, 5% Limo Window Tint.
steedamustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 03:19 PM   #2
Torinalth
Registered Member

you might have a problem with the clutch cable slipping. I could be wrong, but it is somthing I'd look at. if you are upgrading then steeda has a metal one that is supposed to keep it rock hard all the time. that is just my guess

Torinalth
Old 05-18-2002, 11:47 AM   #3
cardpunk
Registered Member

Its the stock adjuster... it does that in my car too...

Welcome to the world of cheap performance cars made by ford.

The correct way to do it is not to push down the clutch and let your foot slip off. That is kind of being hard on the already touchy adjuster.

Basically put your foot underneath the clutch and lift up until it stops... not hard but until it hits a stop. Then push down on the clutch very slowly and you will hear a click.... Then its adjusted and it should have no more play...

A firewall adjuster would help to replace the stock adjuster along with a clutch quadrant... check out http://www.stangsuspension.com :-)
Your source for late model Ford Mustang parts and performance!
cardpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:13 AM   #4
steedamustang01
Registered Member

Thanks for the help, I only wish my " Greater Ford Dealership " Servise could of helped me with that. Thanks.
MODS: - Painted Side Mirrors, Straight Pipes, K&N Filtercharger, Modified Air Silencer, Steeda Tremex 3650 Short Throw Tri-Ax Shifter, Saleen MOMO Shifter, Custom Painted Interior, Modified Saleen Racecraft Progressive Sport Springs SLAMMED 3 1/2 inches, Saleen S-281 Wing, Saleen chrome wheels 18x9 front and 18x10 rear, Saleen Locking Lugs, 265-35-ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-S's, White Face Indiglo Gauges, 9007 Silver Star HID Headlights, Personalized Licence Plate " 2L8 I 1 " (To Late I Won), Chrome Bumper Decal inserts, Lowered Windshield Wiper MOD, MAC Offset rack bushings, 5% Limo Window Tint.
steedamustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:03 AM   #5
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Actually just went throught this issue with my centerforce DF disk and FRPP heavy duty pressure plate and the problem is the pressure plate. I replace my cable, quadrant and went with a firewall adjuster and it just exaggerated the problem. Turns out all along the diaphram in my pressure plate was warped due to high RPM launches and shifts. As the car got warm the pedal feel would fade in and out till eventually I couldn't even disegage the clutch at all. Good luck trying to convince the dealership that is the problem.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote