MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-14-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Torinalth
Registered Member

Default 2k2 GT will not remain stock, suggestions?

well, I'm selling my car and getting my 2k2 GT. I have looked over a few places and came up with about 9k of total mods to do..... mainly a vortech SC, full header/exhaust with high flow cats, full suspension system with sub frame connectors, front and rear tower braces and tie bars, new shifter, aluminum fly wheel, and other assortments. now a few things that just came to mind were, what brands. I know steeda and saleen sell their wares, but are they good places to buy from? also I was noticing that the cobra has a 6 speed manual, any chance of one fitting into a GT?

Torinalth
Old 05-15-2002, 12:18 AM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

If you wanna get nuts, I'd do:

1. Vortech V2-SQ with aftercooler
2. Longtubes/ h-pipe/flows
3. Viper spec T-56 tranny
4. Full suspension (I trust steeda, but there are lots of great companies out there)
5. Drag Radials

Hello low 11's!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 12:51 AM   #3
Torinalth
Registered Member

any idea on the question of the cobra 6 speed into the GT?

also I was looking at the saleen suspension kit instead of the steeda. though looking at a Steeda tri-ax shifter.

and why the new Trani? just need a more bullit proof one for all the HP? and you mentioned somthing about a blower in the other post. can you elaborate on this more? also, does anyone make direct port injection for a nitrous system? I dont want to use NO2, but if I just can not squeeze out the power I need it would be a quick, though dangerous, fix. would a larger SC be applicable if say I used forged rods and pistons, and possibly a new crank?

Torinalth
Old 05-15-2002, 05:01 AM   #4
02GTtonyIN
Registered Member

Definitly go with a intercooler. I personally like Steeda and there products better than Saleen's. I thought 02's transmission where more heavy duty in 02 (3650) i think.
Steeda Shifter and Pullies
3.73 gears
Raven Mufflers
02GTtonyIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:45 AM   #5
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Yeah the '02's have a 3650 but they aren't much better than a T-45. The T-56 6-speed is a damn good tranny other than the fact it's a helluva workout to get it into reverse. If you want run low 10's go with some steeper gears, full exhaust, and a Procharger D-1SC. The D-1SC is THE best blower for a hardcore street/strip application and can easily provide 20 PSI. Obviously with all this power your going to need a stronger rotating assembly and if your going to do that you might as well get the SHM 300 c.i.d. stroker to add a few cubes. Hell, if you're going this far have your heads fully ported (or buy some race heads) and throw in some blower cams and you have one fast modular. I just hope you have a fat wallet though as it won't be cheap.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 11:31 AM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

NOS makes a new direct port nitrous system for the 4.6 GT.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 12:48 PM   #7
Torinalth
Registered Member

so if I do take the extra boost of the Procharger D-1SC, then I will have to replace internal parts? I am trying to avoid this if possible. my father is retieing and want to work on my mustang and his Audi TT together. and I'm not going to want to start completely ripping apart the engine to get rings, rods, heads, or manifolds replaced.

the T-56 trani will be somthing I will definatly be looking into. I love a 6 speed and if I have more gears to push then I can add more top end and low end pull.this is what I had listed out for what I want done. see if you agree.

Suspension
Saleen to the Extreme kit
Steeda various braces

under the hood
Saleen Headers
Steeda X-pipes
Saleen Cat back system
Steeda 70mm Throttle body
Vortech SC system /cooler or Procharger D-1SC

power to the ground
Steeda aluminum flywheel
T-56 Transmition
Saleen MAXGRIP DIFFERENTIAL KIT
Steeda Tri-ax shifter
18" wheels (to be decided what type)
Toyo Proxie tires

now somthing I just thought about would be the diablosport chip. I was reading that they are making software for it so we can rework them at home. I might look into this as well to keep my fuel and air mixture at the optimal. and speaking of fuel. with the new FI on the engine, will I need higher flow injectors?

and finally, in what order would be the best line to get hte most power out without having problems installing others later on?
Old 05-15-2002, 05:23 PM   #8
wjfawb0
Registered Member

Default Super for your mustang...

I would look more into the different supercharger suppliers. I am planning on going with the ATI procharger with intercooler in the future if I ever master the naturally aspirated V8 alone with my five speed. I have heard nothing bad from people who use the procharger. Actually, for some rather boring reading material, you should go to ATI's website and read about their legal battle with vortech over false information. I think ATI is alleging that vortech is claiming intercoolers aren't worth installing and ATI strongly disagrees. It is all fun times.

Just to get back on the topic, though, research the different superchargers more. Read all their websites, remember who wrote the articles, then keep on asking people here and at tracks what they use and what they have experienced. I have limited track experience, never raced, but attended the track many times with my cousin in his 91 stang and his dad's 2001 lightning. In fact my cousin uses a powerdyne centrifugal super. He has had no problems with it, but he only runs about 6 to 10 lbs of boost. His car still runs 11 second quarters, but he also has a racing block in the car. Fun times at the track, and I learned a lot just by looking at others cars. Most racers don't seem to care about spilling their guts about what they like and dislike about products they have bought and used on their cars. That is what I am trying to do here, learn. I like the curves and the challenge of perfecting my shifting and handling capabilities. Yee-haw and good luck...
Old 05-15-2002, 09:52 PM   #9
Torinalth
Registered Member

ok, I'll look more into procharger, but not wanting a powerdyne. brother had a problem with the one on his stang.

what is the best order of additions ot make a solid street runner? suspension then SC, or visa versa, or get the trani first?

Torinalth