MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-21-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Different shifter handle?

I have a steeda tri ax shifter.And even though the handle goes back to me alittle it's not enough.If i shift to fifth gear i have to lean forward to reach it.And if i move my seat any closer to the steering wheel my left knee is toughing the steeringwheel.I like how the roush handle goes so far back,but i don't like the fact that it seems like it's comming from out of the radio instead of the transmission.Anyone know any handles?
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
GTvert
Registered Member

I know that the pro 5.0 has 2 handle options, might call steeda.Or just order a pro 5.0 handle if it will bolt up.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

I saw the 2 pro 5.0 shifters,and one of them looks smaller then stock,the other one looks pretty much the same as the tri ax.Doesn't anyone else have this problem?I even have my seat leaned forward alot.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:46 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaegermeister2k
I saw the 2 pro 5.0 shifters,and one of them looks smaller then stock,the other one looks pretty much the same as the tri ax.Doesn't anyone else have this problem?I even have my seat leaned forward alot.
You could fix the problem by having longer arms...

Sorry couldn't resist. I have the seat all the way back (bottom) and all the way straight (back) and don't have a problem. I'm just shy of 6' tall.

The pro 5.0 handle comes back, as does the new one from hurst. I would see if either one can be bolted onto the steeda bottom.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

I have long enough arms.I measured 6'2" 4 years ago,and i don't think i shrunk any since then.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:01 AM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I just installed the Steeda Tri-Ax and I have not experienced the problem that you have. I have the shiffter installed for the shortest throws, and neither I or my wife has any problem reaching it. We use the same seat position that we have always used.

It sounds like the shift handle is installed backwards. The shifter is designed with a bend in it to bend towards the driver. If the handle were installed backwards, then it would bend towards the radio.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:48 AM   #7
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

No it's bent towards me.I don't have any problems reaching any of the other gears,it's just the 5th gear that makes my arm strech all the way.On my previous car the shifter was closer to me then the steering wheel,and it's like that in every other car i ever drove i don't know why anyone would put the shifter further away from the driver then the steering wheel.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:49 AM   #8
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

When i purchased the car and it still had the stock shifter,every time i would shift into third my hand was like only 1' away from the radio.That's how close it is.Sports car's should have shifters close to the driver.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:00 PM   #9
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Boy, I don't know what to tell you. I wonder if the entire shifter is twisted or turned if that could be possible. I really don't know how it could shift if it were though.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:03 PM   #10
GodStang
College Stanger

Take a look at this http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shift_handle.html
Old 10-27-2003, 06:17 PM   #11
SleeperGT
Registered Member

I to have gone through this dilema, shifter feels like it should be bit closer to me I thought the Roush shift would be great, but it was awful, as the bend angle was all wrong and the shift had the feel of an emergency brake, meaning it's action was all up and down. This was because the bend in the shift was too great and the shfit was too short. Anyways, I finally sound a Hurst shifter which looks like it might work better than the stock. I'm ordering mine with a cue ball style handle.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 06:21 PM   #12
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Seems alright,but my steeda has a shorter throw.Anyway,the whole thing,i saw it in the video it's just as in my car.What i mean is the whole place where the handle comes out is too far out.I guess i'm just not used to it.I used to drive a 240sx and the shifter handle was placed perfectly for me.I never had to strech my arm.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:23 PM   #13
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperGT
I to have gone through this dilema, shifter feels like it should be bit closer to me I thought the Roush shift would be great, but it was awful, as the bend angle was all wrong and the shift had the feel of an emergency brake, meaning it's action was all up and down. This was because the bend in the shift was too great and the shfit was too short. Anyways, I finally sound a Hurst shifter which looks like it might work better than the stock. I'm ordering mine with a cue ball style handle.
Let me know how that works out.I've heard nothing but good about hurst shifters.