MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
XTheOwl
Registered Member

Default Clutch squeek

Ok, I was having a nice friendly shoot out with one of the newer Lightnings I met on the road. Those things can move, despite their 4670 lbs of bulk!

Anyway, I was gettin worried, so I dropped the clutch into third a little faster than I should have, and I heard a little peculiar squeak.

Any idea what this was?

I hope I didnt damage a bearing or somthing...

Thanks,

xto
XTheOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Sounds like you spiked RPMs and the drive belt slipped...I've done that before. If it continues when you depress the clutch, it might be the throw out bearing. Just a thought...
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #3
MATTKNIGHT
Registered Member

In my opinion you just slipped the clutch a little. Everytime I race my friends GT I hear the squeak from his car too. Only happens when really hitting the gears. Could be time to consider an upgrade.(no better reason to get a centerforce) The same thing happens with my car too. Its been happening for two or three years now, and as far as I can tell it hasnt been a serious issue. Thats just my input though.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
MATTKNIGHT
Registered Member

Oh yeah, just wanted to throw one other thing in there.... If it were your throw out bearing the squeal would be rather loud and would last for more than just a second. T/B usually squeal when the clutch pedal is depressed, and you can usually hear them when sitting at a stop - tranny in gear, pedal depressed.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
XTheOwl
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys,

From what you've said, and from personal experience, I can rule out the throwout bearing.

Red, It did sound just like a belt slipping, however, it squeeked as the engine lost rpms suddenly, as I dropped the clutch in too fast.

Could I have caused the engine to "de-rev" so fast that the momentum of the accessories caused the belt to spin faster than the drive pulley?

Maybe thats what the squeek MATTKNIGHT is hearing?

-xto
XTheOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:23 AM   #6
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

If you had the A/C on, the compressor could have kicked back on during decelleration. I know you are aware that at full throttle, the compressor kicks off...just another thought.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote